My first setup/ You're thoughts please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive split fins ... Apollo biofins ... I've had them since OW class and never regretted the purchase.

Folks say you can't scull with them ... I do it all the time. It's not as efficient as with a blade fin, but with practice it can be done passably well.

Folks say you can't do helicopter turns with them ... I do it all the time. It's actually fairly simple to do ... and I can rotate on my axis just as effectively as my buddies with Jets and Turtles.

Folks say they kick up too much silt ... I say it depends on how you use them. I dive some pretty silty areas with my splits, and all other things being equal I can see just as well on my return as I can on the way out. Learn to scull, learn to stay off the bottom, and learn to dive with your knees slightly bent and your fins higher than your head (there's a technical term for that style, but I don't know what it is). If you do those things, you won't kick up silt no matter what fin you're wearing.

Folks say you can't back up with splits ... they are correct. This is the one thing that I have to agree with the split fin critics about. Then again, unless you're planning to dive caves and wrecks, how important is that particular finning skill to you?

Boots ... try SeaSoft. The thing I like about their boot is that it's built like a regular shoe, with arch support and a slightly built-up heel. Not important when diving, but it will matter when you've got to lug your gear up a long stretch of beach ... especially one that's rocky and irregular.

Light ... depends on your diving goals. If you plan to dive a lot, and do a lot of night diving, look into a canister light. They're a lot more convenient in the long run, although fairly expensive. Lots of folks out there making excellent canister lights these days. I use a Nite Rider HID, and it's bulletproof. If you're only planning occasional night dives, or don't want to pony up the $$ for a canister light, UK makes several rugged models of handheld lights. I like their C8, personally ... either the halogen or the HID (Light Cannon). If you can afford it, get a rechargeable light. They're a bit more expensive but in the long run you'll save $$ on the cost of replacement batteries. For a nice, small backup light, I like the Ikelite PCa ... very bright, focused beam in a tiny package. Easy to stow as a backup.

Knife ... no specific recommendation except stay away from a pointy one unless you've got a need to stick something with it. I prefer a blunt-tip knife simply because there's less chance I'll end up poking a hole in something I don't intend to. Also, I'd recommend getting one with a line-cutter (a little crescent opening on one edge of the blade that lets you capture the line). I've found it to be a very effective feature when getting entangled in stray fishing line. I'd also recommend, if you're diving in an area where fishing line is prevalent, a backup cutting device such as EMT shears ... they're inexpensive and can attach to a BCD or hose where they're easily reachable.

Hope that helps ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver once bubbled...

Folks say you can't back up with splits ... they are correct. This is the one thing that I have to agree with the split fin critics about. Then again, unless you're planning to dive caves and wrecks, how important is that particular finning skill to you?

photography....

For the first time last weekend, I was able to back-up and keep the cat-fish in frame without any additional effort as he swam at me....it was really cool

The Ranger (I own/dive one) is really pretty heavy duty in several ways. It is made of thick material (about 8 lbs dry)and has loads of lift. If you are going to be doing most of your diving in warm water (all FLA ) and have no need/want for doubles then I would look into some lighter BC. The Zeagle Escape is a scaled down Ranger, lighter material and less lift (36 vs 45). In either case, the extra cost of the LTD is not worth it. If you are worried about the other BC's being less durable ,well I guess they are but there is no way you will ever wear out a quality BC of any brand by diving it. Due to the reasons above, I now use a Scout (<4 lbs dry) as my warm water/ travel BC.

Split fins seem to have 2 camps, those who like them and those who don't. I have tried several pairs and don't like them. The best bet is to try both before you buy. Most likely you can rent or borrow a set somewhere.

As for the computer, nothing wrong with Suunto as a brand but I don't care for intergrated computers. I want my SPG to work , period. Nothing beats a mechanical gauge for that. If you choose non-intergrated one, can then use it either as a wrist mount or a console just by changing the rubber boot it's in. The RF linked ones just add one more thing to go wrong. I don't care for quick disconnects at all on high pressure lines, may be OK but it strikes me as too big of a failure point. A regular old HP hose can be gotten at any dive shop, can the same be said for the quick disconnect one? ( I don't know myself) What ever comp you decide on, make sure it has user changable and common type batteries. The last thing you want is the battery low indicator to come on just before a big dive trip.
For a light I use a 3 C-cell Super Saber for around $20. You can find these at home supplies (Lowes) and marine dealers (West Marine). These are the same as the Pelicans that are sold in LDS's for $30+. I have had several down to 100fsw with no problems.

blackice once bubbled...

I keep hearing about this "Save a Dive Kit" but don't know what it is? Can any one reveal this mystery?

=-)

There are the ones put together on your own as described above.

There are Save A Dive kits for sale that have a mask strap, fin strap, snorkle keeper, regulator mouthpiece, some tank o rings and a few ty raps. These sell for about 12-14 bucks.

Like your choices - definitely on the Twin Jets (I have the Atomics and they are not worth the extra money) however on that note, I tried the Split fins in Belize and came home and bought them.

Absolutely try them - I did not and went with Blades - which I will never use again (I have a hip problem).

Also I have the Visualator - everyone I know who has it, loves it.

I have the Cobra however if I had a do over, I would go with the Vytec with transmitter, and get regular guages for redundancy (am getting the Vytec soon but I think unnecessary to have 2 computers).

One recommendation is to do a search here & read up on Suunto (I myself have questioned how conservative they are).

Agreed about the Escape (if you are not going to dive tech or cold water a lot like I do) - I have something similar for travelling (IDI Paragon).

Light: I have the HID Light Cannon however if you want an inexpensive yet excellent alternative - buy a C8 and use rechargeable batteries (saves the eco) - also recommend the little mini Q40s which go on your mask (again use rechargeables to help save eco).

Regulator - while I have the Apeks ATX200, the MK25/s600 was my other choice and I think that you will see that many love it.

Happy diving,
Curtis

The whole split fin thing doesn't make sense to me. I have the Cressi Sub Master Frogs and have never used a fin I like any better.

I replaced my Mares Quattros with Atomic Splits and have never looked back. Atomic splits are the most comfortable things I have ever worn Guess this makes me non-dir. Damn.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. You've given me alot to think about. Might go non air intergrated comp w/ SPG. Thanks again Komi

blackice once bubbled...
I keep hearing about this "Save a Dive Kit" but don't know what it is? Can any one reveal this mystery?
All the little stuff that breaks. O-rings, zip-ties, zipper lube, mouthpieces, mask/fin straps, small hand tools (stainless!), etc...

It hedges your dive trip against Murphy's Law.

I think that most of your choices are good ones. As far as fins go its a Chevy/Ford type of thing. My experiance has made me an advocate of the Mares fins. I have to admit that I dont have and maladies in my legs sso I dont mind a bit stronger fin. I personally use the Plana Avantis, I also have a set of Quatros that I got from a friend that broke his ankle and couldnt kick them anymore. For me theyre a bit soft so I still use the older Avantis. The area that I commonly dive in is subject to noteworthy currents so I am fond of a fin that can be kicked with authority.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom