My first reg set -- MK 25/600, HOG D-1, or something else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
We are novice divers and we want to get something good but not break the bank -- I'd rather spend money on trips than on gear if I can. I am so confused, it seems like there are so many options!

We breathed from a MK25/600 setup at the LDS and it seemed fine, good. I can see that they are an established company, that reg has lots of adherents -- but the prices are so high! We were quoted around $800 at the LDS for a complete reg set-up with hoses and all.

Looking around I can see a HOG D1 set up for around $450 -- something like half the price! I guess I would need a Yoke adapter or a yoke fitting.

Is there any reason not to go with the (much) cheaper HOG set-up?

We usually dive in Monterey with a drysuit but we do love warm water!

Thanks,

Bill

not at all. i have both scuba pro and hog regs. i honestly cant tell much of a difference between the two.

Plus you can rebuild HOG regs yourself and save a great deal of money knowing it is done right.

Sent from my She-er-water Per-redator!

We are novice divers and we want to get something good but not break the bank -- I'd rather spend money on trips than on gear if I can. I am so confused, it seems like there are so many options!

We breathed from a MK25/600 setup at the LDS and it seemed fine, good. I can see that they are an established company, that reg has lots of adherents -- but the prices are so high! We were quoted around $800 at the LDS for a complete reg set-up with hoses and all.

Looking around I can see a HOG D1 set up for around $450 -- something like half the price! I guess I would need a Yoke adapter or a yoke fitting.

Is there any reason not to go with the (much) cheaper HOG set-up?

We usually dive in Monterey with a drysuit but we do love warm water!

Thanks,

Bill

+1 for the HOGs.

EDIT::: Now is the time! The black friday deals are sweet to say the least. DRIS and UDM have sweet deals...

Hi Bill I take it you were at Bamboo, You could try the Atomic Z2 which is more economical then the Scubapro and breathes as good. Another regulator would be the Aqualung Titan LX.

I think their is once place in the area that sales and service hog and they may not be around that long and you will need somebody to service your gear. You'll want something that you can get serviced local and not have to mail it off to someone.

Does anyone else have a problem with a LDS saying you can tell how a regulator breathes by trying it in their shop??

I'm a big HOG fan. With the sales going on right now, you can get a superb sealed primary + secondary for < $200.

Buy HOG(s), spend the money you save on diving. You won't regret your decision

I'll make a plug for Jim Lapenta now. I'm a very happy repeat customer

if you get the HOGs and dont like them, you will not have trouble selling them...

I think their is once place in the area that sales and service hog and they may not be around that long and you will need somebody to service your gear. You'll want something that you can get serviced local and not have to mail it off to someone.

Good point. If I can choose when I service it, it does not bother me too much to mail it off once a year or something. If, on the other hand, if regs get serviced only when needed, then I would not like to be down a reg when there is a problem. How is the HOGs reliability? Can one choose when to have it serviced?

Yes, it was Bamboo Reef. They have worked well for us. Is there a better choice? (We are new to this game.)

Back
Top Bottom