My first Ocean Dive - Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike151

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just completed my open water cert and have plans to go to Grand Cayman the first week of December for an entire week.
My wife and I were talking last night about how we really don't know the animal species in that area and were curious if any what to steer clear of when diving and snorkeling. We will only be looking and not touching as we understand that part.
For instance in south texas gulf coast, we know to stay away from jellyfish, Hard head cat fish (have toxin on their dorsal fin), etc..

I may have many more questions about Grand Cayman and my first ocean dives but would like to get this one answered before I ask those questions.

Thanks!
Mike

Lion fish, stonefish, scorpion fish and dodgy looking dudes on the beach selling god knows what

If you touch nothing, there is nothing to fear. I commend to you Paul Humann's books, Reef Fish Identification, Reef Creature Identification and Reef Coral Identification, the ones pertaining to the Caribbean. Also, local dive leaders will brief you on anything to avoid (which is really nothing) and shops will alert you if there is a jelly fish issue or other wildlife hazard (very unlikely.) Grand Cayman is a very user friendly dive destination. You have picked an excellent choice for a first ocean dive trip. Have a great time!
DivemasterDennis

We went to GC in winter and, unfortunately, were told that in that season you can only dive on the leeward side of the island. So we could not get to do the walls for which GC is best known. Having said that, the dives that we did were great and full of beautiful fish and vegitation. Do watch for lionfish, stonefish/scorpion fish. We also saw a fair sized shark at a distance. We used Wall-to-Wall Diving as our DS. They were great. If you can get out to Little Cayman or Cayman Brac, you will not be disappointed.

We went to GC in winter and, unfortunately, were told that in that season you can only dive on the leeward side of the island. .

Not necessarily true.. my wife and I have been to GC 4 times in December once in January and once in February, on only one of those trips were we shut out of the North side. True some of the north side dives were into pretty rough water but nothing all that scary. For what it's worth there is nothing bad about the West, South or East sides either (1). As mentioned above Cayman is quite "user friendly" if you keep your hands to yourself you should have no trouble.

(1) I may even be inclined to recomend the west side to a newer diver as on many of the west side sites the interesting structure starts at a shallower depth this could lead to longer dives for someone who may not yet be the most efficient breather..

If you shore dive, there can be small - short spined - sea urchins near the entries. You really don't want to put your non-gloved (required) hand on one. Just get in and out where everybody else does and it won't be an issue.

One thing you don't have to worry about is getting stung by the Stingrays at Stingray City. They've learned not to sting the hand that feeds them.

The thing I look out for in South Texas is string rays. Everyone at SPI knows to do the sting ray shuffle.

I spent a few hours on the beach in Cayman. No "dodgy" people selling stuff. It's a very modern country.

I would say that scorpionfish are hard to see so just be sure you aren't grabbing the reef because you might not see one of these. The other thing- you might see a shark- probably "off in the blue"- don't be afraid of this. Divers see them often and they are not aggressive to divers who are not trailing stringers of bloody fish behind them. I am not kidding- spearfishers have more interactions with creatures trying to steal their haul than other divers.

It is hard not to be jealous of you- I remember when I started diving and everything was a completely new experience. Have fun- it is a great sport that you can enjoy for many many years.

Thanks everyone for all the info. Very helpful.
I purchased my own dive computer and regulator last week and tested it out at a local scuba park (2 dives). Very glad I made this purchase. Makes me feel more comfortable about the gear I will be using in GC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom