My first lo-visibility dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Low vis diving is an opportunity to fine tune your buddy skills. I was fortunate (or unfortunate) enough when I took my initial OW class - there were only 2 of us - we had to dive in a reservoir that looked like chocolate milk. We had to actually hold hands to keep from getting separated, and on our compass runs, one of us maintained the heading while the other maintained depth. After learning in this kind of environment, just about any other kind of diving has been quite easy.

BTW, if you're going to be doing any significant fresh water lake diving, you need to be comfortable with low vis.

DSAO!

After diving in my lake and in New England, did my first hi-vis dive this past October! Saw all the cool corals and colorful fish, but it gave me new appreciation for the lo-vis dives I have done and am forced to do up here. When you do see something, it is like finding a treasure! All that clear water is great, but don't underestimate some of the great sealife or marinelife in all that murky water too! Ya just have to look a little harder that's all... and for God's sake, don't stir up that bottom!!

In Oklahoma, the best dive lake only has about 3' to 6' of vis at the best of times. Did my OW and AOW there and have also dove other local lakes with water the color of coffee with cream.

Big thrill if you see anything. Fish are usually just a blur in the distance, although at night you can swim right up to them. I watched the other divers and they got ecstatic about finding old cans, mussel shells, etc. I was having second thoughts about the entire sport.

Once I dove the Caribbean, my thoughts about diving did an abrupt about face. Now there are lots of things to see and do. Diving is great fun, but you guys can have the low vis to yourselves!

:blfish: :jump: :rfish:

ive been diving for over a year and a half and i still havent been any where with visibility over 5ft(except ow dive). i love the challenge of it all and keeping in touch with your buddy while trying to navigate. i believe it really makes people have to learn their skills. i cant wait to get back in the water!!!FINS UP!!!

There are PLENTY of places in Michigan to dive with plenty of visability. I was in Lake Fenton last weekend with 20-25' of vis. Gull Lake near Battle Creek comes to mind, gin clear most of the time. Higgins Lake too! Lots of vis there. Lake Michigan and Huron have plenty of vis most of the time as well.....

No reason to dive in mud in Michigan....

The worst low vis situation I have ever been in I lost all spatial references. I had a real hard time telling which way was up. It was only about 25 feet deep so narcosis was not a factor.

Another buddy idea I havn't seen mentioned yet is use a short length of rope to attach yourself to your buddy.

TwoBit

For extremely low vis situations, I carry an 8' long 1/4" yellow poly line with double ended loops and slide snaps. It is great if needed for a buddy teather, and also can double as a safety, lift bag extra, tie-off etc., if needed. In years of search and light salvage, we have had instances when 6 inches is all you can see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom