My first Frogfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You certainly don't have a bad photo to start with here! Lots of good critiques so far. I've always found the challenge with frogfish is getting them to look like anything but a lump of sponge. I'd say your biggest problems are (in order) your distance from the subject and your angle of attack. First rule of thumb of underwater photography: if you think you're close enough, get closer. As far as the angle goes, I usually come from slightly under and try to put the animal against as much blue background as possible. Also, it often helps to have the critter looking at the camera from an angle.

thanks for the critique, I will crop and re-post. I'm using Canon Professional Photo SW

Scubanomad - Nice job. I can see possibly getting closer but from the surroundings I'm not sure how one would get lower to shoot up. I have the same problem w/other bottom dwellers. We're always told shooting up is better than shooting down but that's not always possible. Sometimes at best is to get the camera level with the subject but in the case of this frogfish that might mean having the diver or some gear actually touching the coral. I've seen this happen many times and cringe. The shooter almost always is unaware of the damage done.

I saw the biggest frogfish in my life on Superman's Flight in St. Lucia. It was easily the size of a softball, maybe a nerf basketball. I think you got a right fine picture there, but then, I don't take pictures myself....

Frogfish (Small).JPGso how is that? editied it in Potoshop

Attachments

• Frogfish (Small).jpg
    Frogfish (Small).jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 46
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom