My first fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've used them spearfishing on SCUBA but I couldn't imagine using them in a Wreck. But actually using them on SCUBA wasn't the point at all...

I'm sure not every spot has the luxury we do down here in so cal.. so many of our scuba shops have pools right inside or next to the shop. And the majority of them would love for you to try on a brand new (or special trial versions) in the water BEFORE you buy.

I recommend that you try:

1. A split fin
2. A classic fin
3. A stiff fin

If you have already been instructed in proper finning techniques do the following, otherwise get a quick reminder from a professional, if you are swimming incorrectly during your demo the fin you swam with improperly MAY BE THE WRONG FIN when you get around to doing it right. Anway try a few different maneuvers:

1. Swim in a gentle circle right then left (pay attention to what you are straining or what special motion you are having to make to accomodate the fins.)
2. Perform a short duration series of power kicks in a straight line, sort of a get-out-of-danger scenario.
3. Turn around in place right then left. How well do you stay in one spot, making these very tight in-place turns?

By the way I recommend that you try a split fin before a stiff fin ... it turns out this is a better way to evaluate the differences. Just take my experience on this.

By the way I own several of all of the above type of fins, I like them all to some degree or another. But above all else I prefer the classic ScubaPro Jet Fin.

Try them all out is the best idea...But like he said...You can't do that everywhere. I do allow that in my shop but I rent a pool we can't get into until the evening. Definetly try the jet fins out then go to the splits. You'll be sold. However, if you can't afford the splits don't even try them!

I personally don't prefer split fins since you cant fight waves/surges of any kind with those, save the realli weak ones.
I have a mares Avanti, and it doesn't give me any cramps exept for my first few dives w/ it. But if ur looking for softer kicks, use maybe volo, four channel fins, or some of the cressis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom