My first "favorite" picture

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DBailey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
In my budding underwater photography experience, I have very few pictures of which I am proud. Here is the first one of hopefully many:

24303Nearest_Point_-_spotted_moray_eel_02-med.jpg

This was taken in Bonaire (Nearest Point) with an Oly 5050, PT-015 in the point and shoot mode. The internal flash did trigger. By the way, I never noticed the crab in the lower left until my mother pointed it out when I printed the photo for her. I definitely never saw the crab when I took the photo.

Very cool shot....a great beginning for future favorites!

It's amazing, or maybe pitiful, the way we get so focused on one subject that we never see those around the edges. I have to make a special effort not to keep my face pressed to the camera all the time. There's so much going on around me I miss alot of it. :06:

Nice picture. And I am always seeing things in my pictures that I didn't see before I took them.

DB - looks like you are well on your way to having a hard drive full of great stuff!!

It's nice to take a shot and find a hidden treat when you get home...you probably saw that crab all along, but I had to look twice when I first viewed the shot!

If you are someone who likes to play around, try flipping that image to vertical and futzing with it. When I have some down time (like on the phone etc) I often do this with my photos so I can get more ideas of what I would like to try next time out. And it's the best way for me to learn how my software works, too!

I did a 30 second play and came up with something like this (if you want it removed, just tell me):

Very nice pic - keep them coming.

DennisW:
Nice picture. And I am always seeing things in my pictures that I didn't see before I took them.

I recently did a trip to the Channel Islands in California. Took a picture of a bunch of brittle stars. As I was editing, I looked at one and said, "Is that an octopus?...It looks like an Octopus. It is...It is...It is an octpous." Too bad the focus wasn't sharp. Never saw the dang thing.

Fun, but I wish I had seen it....Very nice picture. You might want to think about trying manual or mode (or alternatively aperture or shutter mode). If want some help on starter settings, you can check my web site in the Resources for Phtographers section where I have collected several links to hints by some good photographers. Peter Schulz's (Splashdown Divers) article was particularly helpful to me.

Have fun and keep shooting! :dazzler1:

Thanks for the comments!

Alcina - I had the photo rotated in the beginning. Then I saw the crab. While rotated I couldn't justify a crab on a sandy surface being on the vertical, so I rotated it back. I do need to play with some other portions of the photo though.

SwimswithSharks - I will definitely check out the website. Thank you for the link. My next trips will involve "graduating" to the other features/modes of the camera. I wanted to get a feel for what the camera can do for me by itself before jumping into the other modes. I have a feeling many of you will be seeing some brown/green photo of the local quarry once my drysuit arrives.

Back
Top Bottom