My first DC2000 experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Processing delays are corrected by shooting in jpeg only... disabiling RAW.

You can rapid shoot a series of photos if the camera is set to jpeg. If set to RAW+JPEG, it takes a few seconds to record the data and you won’t be able to take photos while it’s busy saving images to the memory card. By then, the subject(s) are likely moving on and of course it’s a missed opportunity.

This camera does a good job. It’s simple, sturdy and can produce decent results, particularly if you approach it knowing that:
1. Practice makes a big difference. Hold the camera steady!!!
2. Become familiar with the menus and settings (Before you go diving).
3. Adequate lighting (strobes and/or LEDs).
4. Learn to recognize, understand and trust what the camera is telling just when your about to take a shot or roll video (What’s in focus, if it’s in focus, when it’s in focus, how to help it attain focus).
5. Back to step 1.

I would also recommend sticking with one modality, specially for those just getting started. If you want wide angle, then just shoot wide angle that day. By the way.... There is a wet lens wide angle accessory. I highly recommend using it. Worth every penny.

When you are ready to try macro, then stick to that for a while. Once you’ve mastered wide and macro, it’s easier to switch while underwater. Video is a whole other ball game.

The biggest issue I’ve noticed that frustrates divers, particularly those just getting into underwater photography is “disappointment”.

Underwater photography is very different than regular topside photography. Light behaves differently, colors, available light, subjects, buoyancy control, preparing the system... of course being a good diver and keeping an eye on your buddy and gages just to name a few things are all stacked against or are part of the challenges a good underwater photo enthusiast will need to control, overcome and factor into the overall experience.

Two ways to overcome “disappointment” are:
a. Learn to use the camera well before you take it on a dive.
b. Expect results that are commensurate with skills.

Cheers,
Ricardo

RAW mode is the main thing that attracted me to this camera. I am prepared to work with the storage delay if I can get a RAW file out of it that I can do all the white balance on and get a lossless PNG file out of it once edited, rather than the lossy JPG files.

Thanks for the report and pictures. Have been using my 1200 which I purchased new in 2011, but have been thinking of upgrading. Like the simple operation of the SeaLife.
I recently upgraded from a DC1400 to the DC2000. They have a trade in program available.
upload_2018-3-29_15-9-36.png

I've got a DC1400, and have been considering an upgrade, but wasn't aware of the trade-in. Thanks for posting that information.

Unfortunately, my birthday was nine days ago. :(

@WinfieldNC Thanks for the post. I also wasn't aware of the trade-in program. This will make it a lot easier to get my wife to go along with me needing to upgrade!

@WinfieldNC Thanks for the post. I also wasn't aware of the trade-in program. This will make it a lot easier to get my wife to go along with me needing to upgrade!
To give you a little a more info: My DC1400 housing leaked slightly (coincidently right after I added a GoPro attachment to the cold shoe) and it died. I emailed Sealife to see what they could do and they gave me the information about the trade-in program. So, I got $249 towards a new DC2000 for a non-working DC1400. It was too good to pass up. I mailed the DC1400 directly to them and they sent the DC2000 immediately. Their customer service was amazing. This was at the beginning of February. Hopefully they still have the trade-in offer available.

Their customer service was amazing. This was at the beginning of February. Hopefully they still have the trade-in offer available.

Thanks for the update. I emailed their customer service since I couldn't find anything on their website. Will post any info I get when I hear back from them.

@ibj40 @WinfieldNC
Had a reply from my email to SeaLife this morning. They sent me the form which is also good for the Micro 2.0 32 GB or 64 GB ($25 upgrade fee), different lighting configurations, and lenses. Now I'm a little disappointed that I threw away an old SeaLife strobe, but still have an older video light that I could trade in.

Update for the trade in program: The key to the trade-in program is that you have to send a non-functioning item in to get the upgrade. I have (had) an old Reefmaster Mini that I loaned a friend a couple of years ago which sometimes took pictures where the bottom of the picture was grayed/blacked out. I'm going to see if he still has it although the trade-in value isn't as high as the DC1200. Bummed out! Guess I'll be waiting awhile longer before upgrading.

You can always sprinkle some sand on the o-ring of your camera housing... ask me how I know. I didn't go for trade-in, though, SeaLife sold me a brand new DC1400 (camera only) for a very nice price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom