My First C5050 Pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

10X

Reaction score
I've been reading everything you guys talk about with your pics and love viewing them. I even went out an bought Paint Shop Pro to process my photos with (I didn't like the sound of the long learning curve with Photoshop). So at any rate, here are a few photos I took when I was in Hawaii in Jan/Feb. Some photos were taken while snorkeling and others while diving. The camera was set on the P mode and I used only the internal flash. I'm working on the manual part now and getting better. The strobes will come later when I know the camera better.

Let me know what you think and what I can do to improve.

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4074962&a=31166402&f=

Nice photos for the first outing. Without going through them pic for pic, A few things stood out....

Avoid shooting down on your subjects if at all possible. It makes the whole photo flat and 1 demensional.

Some seem really pale and lacking color. You may be doing too much 'processing', which to me is the worst thing you can do. Not all photos can be saved, use it as an excuse to go take more!

I recognize most of those critters. Your off to a good start. IMHO using manual settings will greatly improve your pics.

You captured some very nice fish faces and poses in some of the images! Good job! You gotta be happy with the dollies, too! Agree with Dee & Gilligan as a starting point - try to get lower where possible.

I took the liberty of saving one of your pics and playing with it a bit just for my own curiousity...I am just learning so I am not a whiz...I cropped down quite a bit and adjusted the colours etc in PS...I think I was able to get a pretty nice bluey sand and some nice colour in the fish (your image is some sort of maybe surgeon or tang feeding on a big coral head in the left side with a lot of sand behind). On your original (a copy of course!!) you should be able to get some of the colours to pop a bit with only a little tweaking.

Good luck and great effort!

Alcina,

I would be interested in seeing your results with the picture.

I just received Paint Shop Pro about 2-3 days ago and don't know how to use it yet, so I ran some of the pictures through the auto fix part of the program, but that's all. I know many of the pics suffer from a lack of color, as Dee said, but I think it's due to the distance I took the pic from. Since I was using the P mode, nothing was done in macro, so the distance was washing things out.

However, I would be interested in seeing what can be done with the pics. Maybe it will help me as I learn how to tweek things. You can e-mail me your results, shoot3gun@yahoo.com

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom