My first attempt with the Oly 5050

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fergyjohn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Some photos taken with my new Oly 5050 on a trip to the GBR over the weekend.

fergyjohn:
Some photos taken with my new Oly 5050 on a trip to the GBR over the weekend.

You are off to a great start- nice photos.

Great shots, Fergy....I think! They are so large, it's hard to see more than a portion of each at a time. Next time you resize pics for an attachment, also note the pixel size. 800x600 makes a nice full screen pic.

Nice shots fergy. You are off to a great start capturing the Australian marine life. I'm jealous of you being able to dive the GBR.

Great shots, Fergy....I think! They are so large, it's hard to see more than a portion of each at a time. Next time you resize pics for an attachment, also note the pixel size. 800x600 makes a nice full screen pic.

Noted Dee I will comply with that next time.

Great first photos - I suspect that you may have some experience you brought to the use of your C-5050. It's a great camera and you must be delighted with these first results.

I'd be interested too in learning something about the settings you used. Perhaps (if you have a prog that will do it) you could paste the EXIF settings into a post, please.

Add me to the list of envious divers who would love to share your experience of the GBR - mind you, it's warm (70F) and quite bright today here in D.C. (very unseasonal!)

Fergy....I jusr re-read my post. I didn't mean for it to sound so snotty! :( I apologize. Just a bit of constructive help, my first pics were the same way!

Dee,

While the size of the posts is being mentioned, what is your recommendation for images posted in the threads (I have read your sticky, by the way)?

Image size - 800x600 (or in my case 800x533 - 3:2 aspect ratio)
File size - max 100kB? This normally means that the image must be compressed to death. Are larger files, say 195kB, still considered good manners? I tested on an image quickly and found that the JPEG compression factor required for a 100kB image was 30 and for the 195kB version was 8. Does it matter?

I have posted the two images for comparison and comments.

Cheers,

Andrew

PS: Apologies for the hijacking, fergyjohn! Great images - wish I could have afforded (and gotten my hands on) the 5050.

Back
Top Bottom