My first (and unpleasant) rebreather experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But look at what it could save you........:crafty:

:confused: Do tell . . . ?

The Poseidon MkVI is a recreational rebreather. It was never intended to go in a cave. Per Stone, they chose the rule for their target market (e.g. the snorkels and pretty fishes set) since it is less to track and monitor, not for serious technical dives.

This being said, I have no idea why Stone chose this rebreather as the weapon of choice for his "Deep Cave Exporation" team last year. If I were a few thousand feet underground diving sumps, it wouldn't be with a recreational breather.

Size and weight. Same reason Stone made the Cis-Lunar. That one kept the team from having to move cylinders hundreds of meters vertically and horizontally. I think the book was Deep Descent. Good read. They actually did not go very far underwater.

Hate it when curiousty costs me a hundred bucks!!! :rofl3: :rofl3: Thanks, D_B! :wavey:
you could do like I did ... notice someone selling a used copy of Mastering Rebreathers on ScubaBoard for a bargin :) .. probably not as in depth as Dr Clarks, but it's pretty good and you can get your rebreather feet wet
a review ... Mastering Rebreathers by Jeffrey E. Bozanic - Divernet

dont you flutter your lashes at me young lady :D

I think I would like to keep my copy , but at any rate, it's reasonably priced anyway

Size and weight. Same reason Stone made the Cis-Lunar. That one kept the team from having to move cylinders hundreds of meters vertically and horizontally. I think the book was Deep Descent. Good read. They actually did not go very far underwater.

The book was "Beyond the Deep". Definitely a great book. I think "Deep Descent" was one of the Andrea Doria books. I totally understand why they used rebreathers, I just don't know why they used THAT one on the recent trip. If I were going to haul a piece of equipment that deep in a cave, it would be a dirt-simple mCCR with redundant electronics (prob triple redundant or spares). The Poseidon has no redundancy and you need to charge the battery pod on a regular basis. Not exactly an expedition unit. The sumps they were diving were short and shallow, but I still think that's a bit risky for a marketing stunt.

I'm in no position to analyze Bill Stone or what he does. He is the sharpest knife in the drawer. I listened to his spill 2 years ago on the new Poseidon at DEMA. He is confident in it. For someone that sells equipment to NASA, well I just can't begin to second-guess him. Also consider Pyle had much input in it. Those two are just on a higher plane than I will ever be.
Would not look good if he brought a Titan in the cave would it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom