My diving experiences in Vancouver Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got an idea. How about they flush red dye into the outflow pipe for a week and see where it ends up. It's probably not very scientific but I bet construction on a treatment plant would begin soon after.

Here is a quote from "Whidbey Island septic system law takes hold" from August 20, 2008 on WhidbeyNewsTimes.com:

The city uses both its own treatment plant at Windjammer Park and the Navy’s lagoon system at Crescent Harbor to treat its wastewater. City workers do a great job keeping the system operating at peak efficiency, but the fact is that the finished product that pours into Puget Sound is not up to modern standards. As a demonstration to the city council last year showed, Oak Harbor is putting murky, rather putrid-looking treated water into Puget Sound, while a modern sewer plant produces a clear product that, as sewer plant operators like to boast, “is clean enough to drink.”

You might think about working on bringing awareness to the sewage problems at home before worrying about ours.

I know what you mean when you quote the WNT. It is a disgrace that the city councilors seem to be still squabbling about the sewage treatment plant problems going around in circles. A couple of years ago there was a leak and raw sewage flew straight into the bay. The beach and lagoon was closed for about a week. A nearly one mile long pipe had to be run from the plant to the other plant on the navy base. Even then the general public did not seem to be concerned that much. Somebody checks the quality of the water on a regular basis and when it is not that good a warning sign tells the public to stay away from the beach and the water and guess what happens? People still go to the beach to walk their dogs etc.

I did not mean to point the finger to anybody with my post. The pollution of the oceans caused by dumping untreated sewage, chemicals, heavy metals and plastic is a global problem.

My humble effort to raise awareness about the health of Puget Sound waters manifests itself in making art, not by going to council meetings. On a regular basis I see my neighbors spreading weed killers in their backyards or washing their cars in their drives. During a rainy day all those chemicals run straight into the bay because storm water is not treated in the plant. Should I approach them and preach them about the pollution that they are creating?

One day I was walking back home after picking up trash from the beach, a lady saw me and remarked that I must have been an 'environmentalist', instead to acknowledge the positive effect of my action she was more concerned to label me as a, basically, liberal=democrat=no good...

On a regular basis I see my neighbors spreading weed killers in their backyards or washing their cars in their drives. During a rainy day all those chemicals run straight into the bay because storm water is not treated in the plant. Should I approach them and preach them about the pollution that they are creating?

Of course not. It is far more appropriate to be an "activist" on ScubaBoard using a fake name and a picture of a lingcod. Ahh...the bravery.

My personal opinion is that the City of Victoria should not be dumping untreated sewage into the Pacific Ocean. I drive hybrid car, donate money to many environmental groups, recyle, and try not to be wasteful. It's of course not nearly enough, but I try. Frankly I couldn't care less if somebody labels me an environmentalist or anything else. It's of absolutely no consequence to me.

Ogden Point is without a doubt the most popular dive site in Victoria, or on Vancouver Island for that matter. It also is a major factor in the success of the Ogden Point Dive Center. If there is a better way of promoting environmental awareness of our world's oceans than training divers, I can't think of it. Your unwarranted, and unsubstantiated, comments about the quality of the water at this popular dive site serves no positive purpose. Virtually everybody in Victoria, and on Vancouver Island, are aware that the City is dumping raw sewage into the ocean. If there is to be change it will obviously come form the citizens and not foreign visitors. So what were you hoping to accomplish by posting these comments, not only once, but multiple times? It seems that the only possible result you were hoping to attain was to persuade foreign visitors not to dive at this site (based on faulty information and logic). This would be a shame.

I am undecided on this issue, but I am curious about these heavy metals you refer to. Can you cite a source and confirmation that there are in fact heavy metals being ejected into the ocean by the city of Victoria?

Hello Wedivebc,

I haven't forgotten about your question. It is a rather complicated one because I am not a scientist, I have a limited knowledge of heavy metal and chemicals in sewage water in general. What I know comes from the news, internet and magazine articles. So I did some research and here is what I came up with:

Heavy metals present in Victoria's effluent are lead, mercury, cadmium, chromium, manganese, copper.

On top of that there is: phthalate esters (toxic derivatives of the plastic industry), pentachlorophenols (mostly pesticides), PCB's and polycyclic aromatic (PAHs).

For more info you could look at these websites:

1) Sewage | Georgia Strait Alliance (You can find there the Markovic Study, a technical report on toxic substances in water)

2) the CRD Wastewater and Marine Environment Program Macaulay and Clover annual report located at Reports and Detailed Findings, or their program homepage at Wastewater and Marine

3) the CRD Regional Source Control Program annual report located at http://www.crd.bc.ca/wastewater/sourcecontrol/documents/s-c-annual-report-2007.pdf, or their program homepage at About the CRD Regional Source Control Program

4) the CRD Stormwater, Harbours and Watersheds Program Core Area annual report located at Stormwater monitoring reports, or their program homepage at Stormwater, Harbours & Watersheds

5) Wastewater Treatment Made Clear

I hope this is of some help.

Cheers

Of course not. It is far more appropriate to be an "activist" on ScubaBoard using a fake name and a picture of a lingcod. Ahh...the bravery.

My personal opinion is that the City of Victoria should not be dumping untreated sewage into the Pacific Ocean. I drive hybrid car, donate money to many environmental groups, recyle, and try not to be wasteful. It's of course not nearly enough, but I try. Frankly I couldn't care less if somebody labels me an environmentalist or anything else. It's of absolutely no consequence to me.

Ogden Point is without a doubt the most popular dive site in Victoria, or on Vancouver Island for that matter. It also is a major factor in the success of the Ogden Point Dive Center. If there is a better way of promoting environmental awareness of our world's oceans than training divers, I can't think of it. Your unwarranted, and unsubstantiated, comments about the quality of the water at this popular dive site serves no positive purpose. Virtually everybody in Victoria, and on Vancouver Island, are aware that the City is dumping raw sewage into the ocean. If there is to be change it will obviously come form the citizens and not foreign visitors. So what were you hoping to accomplish by posting these comments, not only once, but multiple times? It seems that the only possible result you were hoping to attain was to persuade foreign visitors not to dive at this site (based on faulty information and logic). This would be a shame.

Don't worry that I have had my dose of public exposure under my real name and without a picture of a lingcod shielding me from pretty tough criticisms that were related to 'controversial' art projects.

I think that one good way to influence people is by showing them that you can do things differently: recycling, using biodegradable products, driving a small car that drives about 40 miles per gallon (I wish I had the money to buy an hybrid one), ride my bicycle whenever I can, not using weed killers and pesticides in my back yard etc.etc. The same things that you do. It is a slow process, though. But after living here for four years I am beginning to notice some changes. More people seem to use the bus or ride their bicycles now.

I am afraid you have misunderstood me. I did not post my post with the assumption that I am an expert and I know really what's going on! But, on the contrary, as an ignorant folk who heard about it from friends. I simply wanted to know what other divers thought about this issue, have a civil open discussion and learn something from it.

Of course it is up to the citizens of Victoria to decided whether they want to keep dumping raw sewage into the ocean or not. I have never had the intention to preach from a pulpit and tell people what to do! I have also had no intention to 'persuade' foreign visitors not to dive at Ogden Point! However I believe that people should be informed and that it is entirely up to them to decide whether to dive there or not. I did it and it was fun! But I believe that this dive site could be even better if raw sewage wasn't dumped nearby in the first place. Furthermore I had such great time diving near Victoria that I wrote a story about it. I will submit it for publication to the Northwest Dive News. You are more than welcome to read it. If you are interested give me a shout and I will send it to you. :)

I did not mean to point the finger to anybody with my post. The pollution of the oceans caused by dumping untreated sewage, chemicals, heavy metals and plastic is a global problem.

In the December 2007 issue of Dive Training magazine I have just read an interesting reply to a reader who enquired about the practice of 'vacuuming' coral reefs to get rid of algae that infest the reefs of Kaneohe Bay in Hawaii (page #98)

"Q:Mike Cioffi sent in a question about, believe it or not, vacuuming coral reefs. "I read on a National Geographic Web site about using huge vacuum cleaners called 'Super Suckers' to clean the mass amounts of algae that infest the reefs in Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii. I've never been there, but I've certainly seen lots of algae on the reefs of the Florida Keys and many other dive sites in the Caribbean. Why isn't this done at more places?"

A:The reason you haven't seen this technique used more extensively is because most scientists don't think it's a very good idea. Like many projects that are favored by politicians, it looks good in the press but the long-term effect is, at best, suspect.
A little research turned up an excellent review of the Kaneohe Bay "vacuum clearer" project by well-known coral reef expert Dr. Tom Goreau of the Global Coral Reef Alliance. Goreau emphasizes that merely removing algae from the surface of a coral reef does nothing but temporarily improve its appearance. While the overfishing of herbivorous fishes can be one factor, coral reefs are overrun by algae primarily because of high levels of nutrients, or what scientists call "eutrophication" (literally, "good food"). So, in the long run, any project that tries to rid algae from a coral reef is doomed to failure unless the high levels of nutrients responsible for fueling its rapid growth are identified and eliminated.

Actually, it's quite curious to me that Kaneohe Bay would be the site of such a project because that's where a lot of the seminal research on the effect of coral reef eutrophication has taken place. They, of all places, should know better. Algae began smothering the reefs of Kaneohe Bay 30 years ago from sewage that was dumped into it, a result of rising population around its shores. The algae died back dramatically several years later when the sewage outfall was removed. While things began to improve, it wasn't long before the algae returned. As it turned out, controlling the sewage alone wasn't enough. Continued development of the watershed lead to uncontrolled nonpoint nutrient pollution from golf courses, lawn fertilizers and runoff from impervious surfaces like roads and parking lots. These all elevated nutrient concentrations to a level where the nuisance algae were, once again, well fed.

Goreau points out that there are very few examples of algae being removed successfully. One such case comes from Jamaica where, rather than physically removing the algae, authorities eliminated all the land-based nutrients. As a result, the algae that once choked local reefs began to die back in a matter of weeks. Within two months, only a few dying clumps remained.

The nuisance algae that's now taking over large portions of the world's coral reefs comes primarily from artificially high nutrient levels caused by development and other human activities. The algae quickly starves when the naturally low-nutrient conditions are returned to the reef. "But no amount of sucking them [algae] off will work when they grow right back because they are overfertilized," Goreau says. So it appears that the only Super Suckers of Kaneohe Bay are the poor taxpayers who have to pay for the project. It's just another example of the public not only being duped, but hosed; and yet another shining example that there are no quick fixes to environmental problems.

But I believe that this dive site could be even better if raw sewage wasn't dumped nearby in the first place.

How exactly would the dive experience be better? The outfall is easily 10 k away and out in ripping currents that don't to my knowledge circulate anywhere near the breakwater.

Sounds like this is a post to raise awareness about an issue that is important to you in the guise of a post about diving.

Feel free to raise the issue there is lots to say, but it really doesn't have anything at all to do with diving Ogden Point, and raising the exact same issue in three virtually identical posts in three different threads seems to me to be overkill and comes across as someone with an axe to grind as opposed to someone wanting to start a discussion.

Back
Top Bottom