Question My debate - go with a BP/W or stick with a back-inflate BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ll need to buy a BC soon, I’m renting currently as a new diver. Used a jacket style BC, didn’t like the feeling of constriction, I used a Hydros Pro by the big blue S for my pool dives(instructor was using his other BC), I really liked it. Rented an Atomic BC2, I was meh about it. I’m used to back-inflate BCs, but I’ve been reading BP/W is the way to go - I don’t see myself getting into tech diving anytime soon but the modularity and the fact I have something I can grow into as a diver is appealing. However, I really like the concept of the Hydros Pro, another LDS said try on the Tusa BB React, which is in a similar vein. I’m in paralysis by analysis mode. Should I rent out a BP/W for my next dive and give it a try? I’m working on my buoyancy and air usage - the former I don’t have too much of a problem with.

I’ve been lucky to rent from an LDS who stocks Scubapro and Atomic in their rental fleet - I‘ve ended up renting the Hydros Pro.
I was in same situation with you. At the end I decided that I dont know enough about equipment to put together a backplate system myself. And I went for scubapro seahawk which is a back inflated bcd but with pockets and convenient stuff a jacket has. Have a loook, maybe you’ll like it.

I’ll need to buy a BC soon, I’m renting currently as a new diver. Used a jacket style BC, didn’t like the feeling of constriction, I used a Hydros Pro by the big blue S for my pool dives(instructor was using his other BC), I really liked it. Rented an Atomic BC2, I was meh about it. I’m used to back-inflate BCs, but I’ve been reading BP/W is the way to go - I don’t see myself getting into tech diving anytime soon but the modularity and the fact I have something I can grow into as a diver is appealing. However, I really like the concept of the Hydros Pro, another LDS said try on the Tusa BB React, which is in a similar vein. I’m in paralysis by analysis mode. Should I rent out a BP/W for my next dive and give it a try? I’m working on my buoyancy and air usage - the former I don’t have too much of a problem with.

I’ve been lucky to rent from an LDS who stocks Scubapro and Atomic in their rental fleet - I‘ve ended up renting the Hydros Pro.

Hi! It can be tough choosing gear; especially when it's all pretty good. But the choice between BPW and traditional BCD I think is definitely one that has a few dimensions to it. Some questions I would ask you:

1. How long have you been diving and where do you typically dive? Do you travel to dive? If yes, how do you go - plane, car?
2. What types of dives do you like to do? Warm reef dives? Wreck diving? Deep diving (within recreational limits)?
3. Do you teach scuba diving? Are you thinking of going professional at some point?
4. Do you vary your environments regularly? For example, do you dive saltwater one day and the next day dive freshwater?

Let me know and would be happy to give some help at finding a solution.

Richard

This is a really good point and not frequently mentioned. Two tank bands is a must for me. While this doesn't technically require a BP/W, I'm not sure how many standard BCDs have two bands. If there are any, they are rare.
I agree. One cam band and a carrying strap not over the valve can be trouble. I think Zeagle’s all have two tank bands.

It comes down to personal preference. Buy what you like and works for you no matter what anyone else says.

My trip to the Red Sea and having to doff gear in the water has made me reconsider some things. Getting into and out of a traditionally Hogarthian rigged BP is a PITA! But there I was in 86 degrees water with an 22 pounds wing and it was the perfect size. Most back inflate BCs including the Hydros Pro have way to much lift. There is no circumstance, NONE, diving a single tank even in heavy exposure suits that I would need more than 30 pounds of lift. And so many of these back inflate BCs claim to be travel friendly and most people do not travel to cold water to dive so exactly why are they so gigantic?

A BP/wing will hold you are encourage you to be horizontal in the water just by their nature even compared to back inflate BCs. I have several plates and wings of differing sizes, I have that luxury as my wife points out to me as why do I need all of that stuff! My favorite BP/wing is a Oxy 18 pounds lift wing and the Oxy soft textile Travel plate and just accompanied me a few days ago to Cozumel. The other favorite that went to the Red Sea with me a few weeks ago is a VDH aluminum plate and VDH 22 pounds lift wing:

And for more temperate waters I use a stainless steel Freedom Plate and a Oxy 30 pounds lift wing. All are weight integrated.

So I am torn, I want something easy to get into a out of and that is lightweight and soft on me. Yes, soft. I am so tired of getting mashed, bruised, smashed, cut by metal tri-glides, metal D-rings, metal buckles, metal cam bands and stiff webbing. By the end of a few days of diving, just from getting in and out of the dxxn BP, I look like I have been run over by an Egyptian diesel Isuzu driven by a wild and crazy driving Bedouin, bruised, scuffed, cut and bleeding :mad:. I have no solution yet to this conundrum :(.

Edit to add, what metal tri-glides are cutting me you ask? Well, on the plate to the left do you see those tri-glides on the shoulder straps, those ones in particular and either plate despite the neoprene tubes as there are metal tri-glides at each D-ring.! Which is why that VDH plate stays home more and more and the Oxy keep getting the nod. At least until I replace them with plastic tri-glides.

I know it's shot in the dark but have you ever played with single sidemount for that application? It's dead simple out of a RHIB. You can backroll no problem then just pass the tank up after you're done and I can get up over the pontoon in my rig.
I realize that sidemount outside of a cave is contentious but genuinely I've never been so comfortable in dive gear and I'm never the slowest gearing up.
Folds into nothing in the luggage and you can size the wing just like a BPW.

The SeaTec Manta had two straps, but what was interesting was that they were attached to fabric that wrapped about 3/4 of the way up the tank to hold it in place.

It's not a great pic, but I was lucky to find one at all. The fabric with Manta on it is the piece that wraps up on one side of the tank, the system stopped any tank movement. I wanted to get one, but my SeaTec jacket didn't want to wear out fast enough.
View attachment 804123
I used to have one, it was a gift from a friend that gave up diving. I liked it much better than my Beuchat BC but alias it was too small. You know it had an inner plastic bladder like a wing. From what I remember they were popular in the late 80s early 90s but then disappeared. You could still order one from Seatec into at least the 00s but I think Seatec went out of business.

This discussion has turned into a comedy. Many consumer goods are cheaper in the US due to lower taxes, lower distribution costs, etc..
But the question was why are dive goods more expensive in the U.S. than in Europe and Australia? The answer is more "business friendly laws" that result in less consumer protection in the U.S. When you have a spare moment compare the prices of the same items between the US and Europe. You will be surprised and not in a good way.

But the question was why are dive goods more expensive in the U.S. than in Europe and Australia? The answer is more "business friendly laws" that result in less consumer protection in the U.S. When you have a spare moment compare the prices of the same items between the US and Europe. You will be surprised and not in a good way.
I'm quite aware of how pricing is different. I spend about two months per year in Europe. I also had to deal with customs when shipping my $95,0000 laser scanner to Europe last July. I didn't pay import duties. But thanks anyway

@jellycatsdad have you made a decision, can you update? I'm facing the same choice. I currently dive the original Zeagle Covert and it has been great for me, but thinking may need something more going forward. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom