My buddy...Second Nature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubatexastony

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
With all the threads floating around which envolk the "theme of team diving", I had to wonder what folks were being taught in their OW classes. Although those that are Diving Into Righteousness seem aware of what a consistutes a good buddy, I think and teach about it in this simple way:

Let's say you're with the wife, (or SO), and it's time to do that last bit of shopping for Christmas. There's the little one swapping holding hands with you and the Mrs. as you stroll through the mall. Do you wonder out in front of them or keep walking when she stops to do a bit of window shopping? Do you let the little one trail behind you in a crowded mall? Did you dress him warm enough for the chilly weather? You don't have to stop and think about such simple things or where your family is at any moment. You just know because you're aware of them; and it's second nature to walk and talk and care for each other while strolling through the mall, finding that perfect gift for the inlaws!

Buddy diving should be that simple. Of course it takes time to be at ease with the tasks of bouyancy control, gas management, emergency proceedures, ect., then the second nature should start to set in. I've made a lot of strolls with my buddy since she learned to dive and I've seen her get comfortable with the tasks and awareness, and now it's as we're (to use the un-patented term) team diving our way through the mall. If it takes a weekend wonder course for you see the light; caring for, and being aware of your friend or loved one, do it right now, by all means! For me, I found it's just second nature.

Happy Holidays,
tony

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom