My brother and i are thinking about getting into scuba, anyone down here around SB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scooba diver

Reaction score
I live in Santa Barbara, CA
I'm a youngen (14) and bro bro is 17
Any good places to dive around here?
And am i to young :( ?
Thanks for looking

There are many fine places to dive all up and down the coast. Facing west as Santa Barbara does, you may see more rough conditions than we do in Los Angeles.

But first of all are you too young? Yes and no.

No because the dive training agencies will train and and at 15 will certify you with parental concent and a medical clearance.

Yes, in my opinion you are too young to dive.

Diving is all of the following:
1. A great Sport
2. Good for physically fitness
3. A lot of fun
4. Exposes you to increased pressures which may not be good for growing bones etc.
5. A SPORT THAT CAN AND DOES PARALYZE FOR LIFE
6. A SPORT THAT CAN AND DOES KILL even experienced divers.

Not trying to scare you with the above, but there are many facets to diving that even I at 48 yrs old, did not fully comprehend when I got certified.

SCUBA diving is definitely a high risk Adventure sport. One moment of forgetting what to do, or panic could result in death or paralysis for you or your dive buddy. Yes, your actions underwater can impact other divers.

A simple act like forgetting, and holding your breath under water while ascending even a few feet could result in a blown lung and possibly even death. Even if you follow all the rules, people still get killed. We don’t know why, but even when all rules are followed some times divers get the Bends (Decompression Sickness) or an embolism (big bubble in brain) which can result in any or all of the following: 1. pain (mild to I wish I was dead severe), nerve damage (for life), paralysis, or even death.

Diving requires maturity, the ability to think for yourself under pressure and to calmly consider all options before acting in a life and death emergency situation. Do emergencies really happen? Yes, you are dealing with equipment in a very harsh environment and it can and does malfunction, plus the human factor (Murphy) and the unpredictability of the ocean. At the age of 20, some people I know are not ready to be certified as divers.

More information
http://www.scubabyte.com/scubadivingsafety.htm
http://www.scubadiving.com/training/medicine/age&dive.shtml
http://www.scubadiving.com/training/lessons/sept01.shtml

I hope that helps. Read up on SCUBA and then decide. Waiting is always an option and often the sign of maturity. In general the best piece of safety equipment a diver has is maturity and clear thinking in any situation.

Is that only for real deep diving?
My local diving store said that 10 is the lowest age for diving,
But i'll talk to them some more

If you're comfortable in the water you should be fine. Don't let anyone scare you away from diving. Go find yourself a instructor you are comfortable with and soak up as much as you can.

In my previous post depth can be a factor, but you can blow your lung out from only 10 feet too.

As was said before, diving is fun, but there are dangers and do not be lulled into thinking the dangers are only for divers going over 100 feet, you can get bent shallow and you can blow a lung out shallow.

Your parents know you and your abilities and you know your self too. So just be an informed diver.

Below the age of 15 most agencies will only give a conditional certification (meaning you have to dive with an adult) but that can be converted to a regular diver cerrtification at age 15 or so. Each certifing agency has its own rules.

Not trying to scare you, just make you aware.

We it my kids, they would wait. I did take my17 yr old daughter to take lessons when I did. But I did not know then what I know now. But I might do it again. She did not get certified though, could not get over the clostrophobia.

pasley once bubbled...
Below the age of 15 most agencies will only give a conditional certification (meaning you have to dive with an adult) but that can be converted to a regular diver cerrtification at age 15 or so. Each certifing agency has its own rules.

PADI's rules state you have to dive with a Parent/Guardian or a Divemaster or Instructor.

My son was certified at 13 and being very comfortable in the water does fine. However, water familiarity is not the only or even the most important condition.

As was posted above, Diving is both a SERIOUS and a FUN activiity. The FUN part can cause you to forget about the SERIOUS part. I would ask yourself, or better ask your parents, "How do I handle stressful situations?" Do you panic/freak out/scream/ freeze ? IF so, then I would be concerned.

Both of my boys dive ( now 14 & 16). The 16 year old is about the best buddy I could ask for...he never strays more than 2 feet from me. The 14 year old likes to "explore"....so when I am diving with them, I keep the three of us real close and I watch em like a hawk. Before every dive "trip" we review all of the skills. Will you have a buddy who is as attentive?

FWIW

Otter

P.S. The youngest diver I have taught (excluding my own sons) is 13. He is VERY FOCUSED...So far, he is the ONLY one I have taught below the age of 16.

scooba diver once bubbled...
I live in Santa Barbara, CA
I'm a youngen (14) and bro bro is 17
Any good places to dive around here?
And am i to young :( ?
Thanks for looking

My son has recently been certified at age 14...

If you can think, and are patient, and are healthy...you can dive.

Notwithstanding the possible problems, we all face possible dangers in the water...Don't go to 240' wrecks, or 1000 feet into a cave, and learn on each dive...

Many boats are based in SB. You'll have places to dive.

Sean

I know some 40 years old who shouldn't be nowhere near the water. I know some 15 years old who are terrific divers.

I first got certified at 13 :wacko:

Try it and see if you like it. If you're used to doing stupid crazy things, stay on the beach. If not, you'll have a great time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom