My blues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks guys!
Jamdiver: you mean this?

xmastree.jpg

kapula:
to Victor:
I get to dive only few times a year when I'm abroad. If you only need to work and you have nice waters where you live consider yourself lucky :)

Yup I could dive these murky finnish waters but as there's nothing to see and I have only 5mm wetsuit that ain't an option. Coursedives in Finland were enough for me :)

edit: Whoops it seems that you're stuck inland aswell. At least you can travel in gb and dive in your home country.

Kapula
I just received my casing for my 8080 (PT-023) and looking forward to learning how to use it.
While I have a dry suit I fear my cold water diving days are over. Scapa flow or 1 or 2 of the wrecks around the cost might get me interested again. I am looking forward to my next warm water vacation.

Some questions.
What settings do you use for the 8080?
Do you post process the files, if so with what software?

To Victor:
As I get to dive only few times a year I've only used autosettings when diving (p-mode). I do ofcourse use manual white balance and with macros se focus to the middle of subject (not getting an average or multipoint focus or you ge out of focus pics). For macros I usually shoot in super macro and take multiple pics to get one or two in focus :) I'm itching to buy a strobe for my next trip (propably next xmas) but we'll see. I'm also hoping to be patient enough to start shooting more manual u/w. Now I've thought that if I dive only 20-30 dives on vacation it's not enough to "waste" few dives learning manual shooting.

I do post processing with photoshop. I use auto settings (levels mostly) and on blue shots adjust saturation.

On some deeper dives I've had problems pressing the button that allows you to change between macro and so on. You need to be careful to set your camera inside the housing so that all the buttons reach it. That needs a bit of trial and error before going u/w since that red plastic under your camera needs not to be too tight or those buttons won't reach your camera. Make sure to set shortcuts for those functions you're most likely to use u/w (manual w/b, focus modes etc) and enjoy!

kapula:
To Victor:
As I get to dive only few times a year I've only used autosettings when diving (p-mode). I do ofcourse use manual white balance and with macros se focus to the middle of subject (not getting an average or multipoint focus or you ge out of focus pics). For macros I usually shoot in super macro and take multiple pics to get one or two in focus :) I'm itching to buy a strobe for my next trip (propably next xmas) but we'll see. I'm also hoping to be patient enough to start shooting more manual u/w. Now I've thought that if I dive only 20-30 dives on vacation it's not enough to "waste" few dives learning manual shooting.

I do post processing with photoshop. I use auto settings (levels mostly) and on blue shots adjust saturation.

On some deeper dives I've had problems pressing the button that allows you to change between macro and so on. You need to be careful to set your camera inside the housing so that all the buttons reach it. That needs a bit of trial and error before going u/w since that red plastic under your camera needs not to be too tight or those buttons won't reach your camera. Make sure to set shortcuts for those functions you're most likely to use u/w (manual w/b, focus modes etc) and enjoy!

Thanks for the advice re the buttons. I will play around with this on the surface.
Do you save your pictures in raw format?
I thought that the white balance had no effect when using raw. This is only what I have read somewhere. With a 2 gig card being so cheap now space is not an issue.

It is going to take sometime to remember all the options I want to set. I suspect I will decide on macro or wideangle before I go in and set the camera up accordingly. I am used to this with a nikonos.

Do you have condensation problems, some here have complained about that, if so what do you do to avoid it?

Tks Victor

Victor:
I don't use raw since it takes some 10-12 second to save the bloody picture. Olympus has made camera's bridge soo slow that at least I ain't patient enough to shoot anything in raw. Same thing when you try to go through your pictures. The ones shot in raw take a loong time to load on lcd. If I recall correctly you don't need to use w/b when shooting in raw.

8080 has quite a bit of buttons. As does the housing. Still I wouldn't set all up before diving and not touch any settings underwater. If you don't wanna hassle with buttons too much while diving you could set mymode for macro shots for example. Then normal mode for wide angle. You need to adjust white balance anyway so you need to know those knobs :)

I haven't had that much condensation problems. It's a big housing though and there's considerable amount of air inside. If you can try to set your rig up in cool dry area (in airconditioned room) and make sure you have a moisture muncher inside. I've had condensation in Croatia but air was ~30 and water below 20 degrees. In Thailand I've never had those problems water being +25 degrees all the time. So if you dive in colder waters try to set your rig up in dry air and put some moisture munchers inside. Make sure those munchers inside are tight enough since you don't want them to end up on your lens :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom