My AOW Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congrats! Being at 63' was nothing after being in 92' of water, also pitch black, huh? :)

You're exactly right! :) You warmed me up for that class. Lol.

Btw, I'm heading back to Austin next October. I'll be in touch about diving again, if you're interested.

Congratulation on your AOW!
I have found the instructor(s) (and rest of students) make the journey (OW, AOW, Rescue, DM&#8230:wink: special.
Someone told me once, “The more you learn, the more you realize there is to learn!”

This is so true! Every time I learn something I learn just how much I don't know. And while I'm kind of impatient and want to learn everything as quick as I can, I also get somewhat excited to find I have so much further to go in this journey.

Here's one more OW cert who appreciates you sharing your experience in AOW as I'm considering taking it in August!

It sounds like Jeni was doing AOW with PADI. The Deep Adventure Dive has nothing to do with being "narc'd". That was changed a few(?) years ago. The objectives of the Deep Adventure Dive revolve around planning and executing a "deep" dive. Deep in the context of AOW is deeper than OW - greater than 60 feet and less than 130 feet. The Deep Adventure Dive is not just about the dive itself, but also the knowledge development related to deeper dives. The dive itself is to include the following elements:

• Executing a descent using a reference as a tactile or visual guide;
  • Describing and recording changes of color at depth;
  • Comparing depths shown on computers or depth gauges;
  • Using a depth gauge and timing device (or a dive computer with an ascent-rate indicator) to measure an ascent rate not to exceed 18 metres/60 feet per minute; and,
  • Performing a 3-minute safety stop at 5 metres/15 feet before surfacing.

Yes, I did do PADI AOW. You know I read about how you may check out how color changes in depth, the change in difficulty of tying knots, and simple math problems are harder. We didn't do that, but I wondered if that was actually done in the specialty course.

Jeni,

Going forward to the Deep Diver Specialty the new things you will do include:

Dive 2
  • Describe and record the changes that occur to three pressure-sensitive items while at depth.
  • Perform a navigation swim with a compass away from, and back to, the reference point. The distance will depend on visibility.
  • Perform a 3-minute safety stop at 5 metres/15 feet before surfacing without physically holding on to a reference line for positioning. You get to hover for the three minutes.
Dive 3:
  • Compare the amount of time needed to complete a task on the surface and at depth. This is what people think of as the "narc" test. Just be sure the task is realistic. If you cannot tie knots, don't get roped (pun intended) into using that as a task - what will it really tell you? One sneaky trick is for the instructor to ask some questions at the surface in casual conversation. Then one of those same questions may be presented to you on a slate underwater. If it takes you a couple of minutes to write your birthday or telephone number underwater, somethings up!
  • Perform an 8-minute simulated emergency decompression stop at 5 metres/15 feet before surfacing, while breathing from an emergency air source for at least one minute of the total time.
Dive 4:
  • Complete an underwater tour of the area.
Dive 4 is the opportunity to plan and conduct a deep dive, taking into account all of what you have learned through the knowledge development and put into practice in Dives 1 through 3.

Great report! Congrats on being AOW certified!

Jeni,

Going forward to the Deep Diver Specialty the new things you will do include:

Dive 2
  • Describe and record the changes that occur to three pressure-sensitive items while at depth.
  • Perform a navigation swim with a compass away from, and back to, the reference point. The distance will depend on visibility.
  • Perform a 3-minute safety stop at 5 metres/15 feet before surfacing without physically holding on to a reference line for positioning. You get to hover for the three minutes.
Dive 3:
  • Compare the amount of time needed to complete a task on the surface and at depth. This is what people think of as the "narc" test. Just be sure the task is realistic. If you cannot tie knots, don't get roped (pun intended) into using that as a task - what will it really tell you? One sneaky trick is for the instructor to ask some questions at the surface in casual conversation. Then one of those same questions may be presented to you on a slate underwater. If it takes you a couple of minutes to write your birthday or telephone number underwater, somethings up!
  • Perform an 8-minute simulated emergency decompression stop at 5 metres/15 feet before surfacing, while breathing from an emergency air source for at least one minute of the total time.
Dive 4:
  • Complete an underwater tour of the area.
Dive 4 is the opportunity to plan and conduct a deep dive, taking into account all of what you have learned through the knowledge development and put into practice in Dives 1 through 3.

That is awesome! It kind of makes me wish I took the deep specialty now. I guess I can throw that in for the next trip if I want. Thank you for that information!

Great report! Congrats on being AOW certified!

Thanks Slayah :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom