My 1st Class and 1st Dive trip as DM...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Islandheart

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Well there's a 1st of everyone and my 1st class as Dive-Master begins this Friday. Wow, insurance requirements, uniform requirements and the like..... $$$.

Next weekend is my 1st DiveTrip with the shop as Dive-Master and we're headed to the Florida Springs, should be great fun....

I'm looking forward to both.

Well there's a 1st of everyone and my 1st class as Dive-Master begins this Friday. Wow, insurance requirements, uniform requirements and the like..... $$$.

Next weekend is my 1st DiveTrip with the shop as Dive-Master and we're headed to the Florida Springs, should be great fun....

I'm looking forward to both.

Good luck... and don't forget to have FUN!

BTW, if you haven't already applied for the Instructor to Instructor forum, I suggest you do. :thumb:

Bonne chance,

The 3 day dive class is finished and I believe all went well. The instructor had some good constructive comments but said it was a pleasure and she'd work with me anytime.

We had 6 students, one a cross-over from SSI training a couple of years back, the others were all new divers. All preformed well in class and during the tests.

In the water, 4 handled all their skills nicely, one had some problems with two of the skills and needs some additional pool time working on those, but will likely do well.

One was not comfortable in the water at all and failed well over half of the skills the 1st day and would not attempt many of the skills.
No amount of additional Instr or DM training time, could get her comfortable in the water. She constantly was holding to the edge of the pool.
By mid-way on the 2nd days pool period, it was suggested she come in later the next week and meet with the Instr., one on one, and discuss some options. At that point she had really become a burden on the whole class.

The dive trip next Friday is to the Florida Springs, we've got 8 students going and 2 instructors plus myself.

Looking forward to it.

The 3 day dive class is finished and I believe all went well. The instructor had some good constructive comments but said it was a pleasure and she'd work with me anytime.

We had 6 students, one a cross-over from SSI training a couple of years back, the others were all new divers. All preformed well in class and during the tests.

In the water, 4 handled all their skills nicely, one had some problems with two of the skills and needs some additional pool time working on those, but will likely do well.

One was not comfortable in the water at all and failed well over half of the skills the 1st day and would not attempt many of the skills.
No amount of additional Instr or DM training time, could get her comfortable in the water. She constantly was holding to the edge of the pool.
By mid-way on the 2nd days pool period, it was suggested she come in later the next week and meet with the Instr., one on one, and discuss some options. At that point she had really become a burden on the whole class.

The dive trip next Friday is to the Florida Springs, we've got 8 students going and 2 instructors plus myself.

Looking forward to it.

Nicely done. Sounds like you are well on your way to getting you fins wet as a DM. :D

BTW, did you join the I2I forum? It's a great place to discuss Pro issues with other Pros.

Bonne chance,

Looking forward to it.

Now your getting a good idea of what it's going to be like teaching. Some people take to it and some don't. Having a good divemaster in class is a great assess. In many cases you are the person that can give one on one skill training and get that student over the hump. As you saw the instructor can't just stop the class and wait for that one student. Good luck on your upcoming trip. We'll be headed down to Morrison Spings on March 6-7 with about 15-20 students.

It's Monday morning and we got back last night about 8pm from the Florida trip to Snorkel & Dive with the Manatees at Crystal River. We also dove at Blue Grotto.

We had 8 OW students and one AOW, the two instrs and myself. The shop uses a customized bus to transport everyone and we left Friday a 3pm, arriving at C.R. at 11pm.
Nice ride down with basically 2 different classes getting to know each other. We have 6 bunks as well as 4 tables, and 2 rows of 4 seats, so plenty of room to relax.

next morning we were up and at the marina at 8am, on the boat at 9 and in the water to snorkel with the Manatees. We saw 7 and enjoy the relaxing time in the water.

We then moved, and completed 2 training dives with everyone doing well. Vis was ok about 10-12ft. We relaxed for the afternoon, held some review training, and then a group dinner.

Next morning, bus away at 7am, at Blue Grotto at 8am and 1st ones in the water at 9. If you haven't been there, beautiful super clear spring water, 72 degrees.

Made two training dives and everyone did well and had great fun with lots of smiles and high 5's all around. We did a picnic lunch. with me being the BBQ chef, and the bus was away back to ATL by 2pm.

We had to youngsters, one girl 11 and one boy 13, plus the dad who was certing also. They all did exceptionally well.

I'll try to post a photo link later.

Thanks for reading.

Back
Top Bottom