My 1st BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yoho! Wayward one...
I have been scavenging for one of these ver since Ilost mine in a divorce forced garage sale.
P-L-E-A-S-E let me purchase this itme from you!
Will add creative incentives, barters, etc.
Pls. call 818-508-7671 or email funnypaperz@yahoo.com

Joe

You got quite a deal Turtle Guy.
That E-Bay item is in very poor shape and apparently sold for much more than you got yours for recently.

If anyone else ever comes across one (or 2) that they can part with please call!

I want one intact as a trophy -- but could use an extra shel only for a special jet pak costume I am working on...

toonguy:
You got quite a deal Turtle Guy.
That E-Bay item is in very poor shape and apparently sold for much more than you got yours for recently.

If anyone else ever comes across one (or 2) that they can part with please call!

I want one intact as a trophy -- but could use an extra shel only for a special jet pak costume I am working on...

Any interest in a Dacor Nautilus?

PurpleRonald:
It's Scubapro's answer to the Watergill At-Pac. The At-Pacs were also being sold with ferrings<sp> - rigid outer shells. US Divers had a rigid all-in-one unit too. The AT-Pac was however the best imho...and most At-Pac users soon discarded the rigid shells(they were just too bulky and the natural

I had, and dove an at-pac for a long time and still have it. Had two really big flaws, in inflator hose was inside the the deflator hose, which, combined with a poorly designed plastic inflator control, could cause instant infltation. And since the air hose to the inflators was on other end of the deflator hose, it was difficult to remove in an emergency.

The other flaw was the weights. they were in a long narrow cavity which was along you spine and closed with a door at the bottom. The idea was to dump weights you opened the door and the weights (a mix of lead shot and glass marbles) would fall out. The problem was that it was hard to rinse them, and the water/salt mixture would cause them to corrode, fusing into a solid mass. This did not fall out through the door as planned.

I was really really into shell packs back in the late 1970's in college. I have a few dives on this style of pack, an At-Pac shell, and the Dacor Nautilus too. I never got to dive the US Divers yellow pack with the triples...but I know where there is one..

The integrated weights with the releases were interesting. I don't know if you ever tried dumping them..

Best

Dave McLean

The Nautilus was really cool. You flooded it and then swam around with the partially flooded BC. Nothing like dragging a bunch of water around with you on a dive.

My first dive with it was on a shore dive with surf. Memorable trying to get out was an understatement. Functionally, it didn't make that much sense to me though.

Wow, cool photo of the Dacor Nautilus!

Wayward, your blue Scubapro BC was not called a Nautilus, it was "The Scuba System."

I used one that a buddy loaned to me in the fall of 1977, because he liked his At Pac and new Stabilizer Jacket better. We were in instructor training in San Diego at the time, and his dad owned a dive shop. It had straps that were held on by pins, and of course one came off leaving me floundering while making a surf exit on the rocks!

The Scuba System had just come out that year, but didn't last much longer. Scubapro also discontinued the BCP soon afterwards. The best thing about it was it made a great seat! We had one kicking around the dive shop for a few more years.

The 3 inverted aluminum (30s, I think) USD tank system was called the Divator. There was a two tank version too. Mid to late 70s stuff.

I just got a new scanner, so I'm going to have to get out some of my old photos.

Chad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom