Mutsu Wreck Trips this Year

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IwakuniDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Last week while diving Oshima Island the topic of the Mutsu came up and now several of my dive buddie and I are planning a couple dives to the wreck this summer/spring.

Since first hearing about the wreck I have been thoroughly studying the history of the ship, it's fate, and in the process, came across a couple of accounts from divers that have visited it. The best of those reports are actually here on Scubaboard and if you search for Mutsu, you'll find it rather easilly.

Incidently, my friends and I all live in Iwakuni and can assist with transportation from here since hotels are much cheaper here than on Oshima Island.

So if anyone else is interested, let me know and if anyone has any input or recommendations for the trip please chime in as there is no substitute for first-hand accounts.

Scott

I was one of them who went last year. You can email/call me if you want to have some info and advice.

thomas@jue.jp

Well the dive has been officially scheduled for Mid-end of June if we can complete constuction of or new deco rig and field test it in time.

So far, it's going to be 2, 2-man teams and we have all agreed that the sole goal of this trip is to get down, take a few "We were here pictures" and come back up. Due to the depth, and narrow tide-window we have I am limiting bottom time to no more than 10 min After we get our pictures of the wreck, we'll head up even if we're only down for 4 minutes.

I'll be sure to keep this thread updated as the events unfold leading up to and after the dive.

UPDATE:

Well the dive was officially scheduled for the 18th of June and now it's starting to look like it's going to be scrubbed due to the weather. It's very unfortunate due to several factors besides the fact that my team and I have been training for this dive for over 2 months solid and I have been researching this wreck for 5 months.

My boat and another boat were all ready and prepped, safety gear checked out and detailed dive / contingency / emergency plans have all been finalized. We are ready to go but good 'ol mother nature just isn't going to cooperate. Just the way it goes I guess.

If we are going to scrub the dive I'm going to take a shot at retrying the dive mid next month when the tides are optimal and the trip will have to be during the week since Scuba classes will be starting as of next week and that completely kills the weekends.

I'll be sure to keep you all posted.

Don't worry. she is not going anywhere :wink:

THE DIVE IS BACK ON!!!!

In just a matter of 3 days the weather outlook for this weekend has gone from rainy and crappy to partly cloudy both days so the dive is officially on.

My boat is prepped, the gear will be ready tonight, and we are all set. Tonight we're having a barbeque to go over my dive plan one last time. I can hardly descrbie the giddyness I feel right now diving a piece of Japanese WWII history.

We'll be taking two cameras down so expect lots of pictures and some video on Monday!

Wish us luck!

IwakuniDiver:
THE DIVE IS BACK ON!!!!

In just a matter of 3 days the weather outlook for this weekend has gone from rainy and crappy to partly cloudy both days so the dive is officially on.

My boat is prepped, the gear will be ready tonight, and we are all set. Tonight we're having a barbeque to go over my dive plan one last time. I can hardly descrbie the giddyness I feel right now diving a piece of Japanese WWII history.

We'll be taking two cameras down so expect lots of pictures and some video on Monday!

Wish us luck!

How was the dive? Did it go as planned?

Wow, what can I say about this trip other than it went better than we could have hoped.

Two friends and I sailed my boat down to Oshima Island from Iwakuni on Saturday where and begain our search for the wreck at around 2:30pm. The water was calm and there was no wind. After searching around the area for an hour looking for some kind of buoy I just decided to find it the "old fashined way" by taking a compass out of my console, whipping out my navigation chart (all in Japanese of course) and having my friend Shane hanging over the side with my underwater range finder. After figuring the location by using a folded up piece of paper as a slide rule and using dead reckoning with the compass on the surrounding islands I was able to figure out a good search pattern and we began sweeping back and forth on an East, West line. After about 30 minutes Shane about jumped off the boat when the range finder jumped from 131 feet to 88 feet then he started jumping around screaming "We found it!!" It was pretty funny, you had to be there.

I then quickly took some compass bearings from the surrounding islands to triangulate our position so we could get out there quickly on Sunday when we picked up the rest of the team and the gear. We then found ourselves a nice, quiet spot to anchor for the night, fired up the barbeque on the bow and got comfortable.

The next morning we picked up the rest of the team in Towa Town near the Mutsu Memorial Museum. With 5 people and gear on a 21' sailboat we were pretty cramped but we managed. It only took me an hour and a half to find the site this time but the depth was bouncing around 70-80 feet which was confusing us quite a bit. I threw the anchor off the bow and managed snag something shallow and hard. I hadn't planned on actually anchoring ON the wreck but there was no pulling it up now since she was completely locked.

We strapped up our 92cuft tanks, jumped in the water and started our descent. The surface temp was a balmy 68 deg F. and visibility was about 25 feet. It didn't take long to land on the wreck and I quickly discovered why my anchor was so stuck. It had fallen through a porthole on the side of the wreck at 83 feet. There was plenty of ambient light around and the only reason I turned my dive light on at all was to peek in the portholes and open areas of the wreck. Another thing that I quickly noticed was the sheer number of fish living in the wreck as well as the beautiful orange polyps that are growing on the hull. The silt is minimal on the top of the wreck most likely due to currents and storm activity.

We immediately began heading alongside the wreck staying around 90-100 feet and at about 50 feel from my anchor line we found the obvious explosion area where the ship split in two. The metal was still stretched outward and you could even see parts of the individual decks of what appeared to be what was left of the number 3 ammo magazine. We kept circling around and headed forward on the other side in an effort to locate the bow when we came to where it looks like the hull has collapsed on itself. Most likely from the hole cut in her from the salvage operations and being down there for 63 years. We descended to 112 feet to check it out but we decided to turn back since we didn't want to use all our air up so fast and we still had plenty to explore. After 20 minutes we decided to head back and start our decompression. Our deco rig was nothing fancy, just a single 80 at 18 feet with 4 regs on it. We planned for using our own air for deco but the tank was there for emergency.

All in all it was a great dive. We now have it marked on GPS and we're already planning our next trip down there. One thing that I found is that if you plan the dive around the tidal movements, as we did, the currents are non-existent. We're even talking about making this a regular dive site for us. We're pretty lucky to live near an actual WWII wreck that has some very real historic significance.

Here are some of the pictures, sorry they aren't that great. But since I was operating my range finder, my friend Michael was operating my camera and wasn't too familiar with it.

Scuba6-18-06Mutsu20.jpg

Scuba6-18-06Mutsu15.jpg

Scuba6-18-06Mutsu12.jpg

Scuba6-18-06Mutsu10.jpg

Scuba6-18-06Mutsu21.jpg

We did the entire dive on single 92's filled on air. We had our deco rig, also on air, at 30 feet in case of emergency, and we just did a 5 minute safety stop.

When I initially planned the dive, I planned for only an 8 minute bottom time at 130 feet but when we got there and saw that there was so much to see between 70 and 100, the decision was made to stay shallow to maximize time on the wreck.

I did push my computer to the limit but did not go into deco. Just for safety's sake, we all took our time coming back up since we all had plenty of air left in our tanks. Since my buddy and I were down the longest, we stopped at our little deco rig and hung around for a few minutes before doing our safety stop on the stern line to free up the anchor line for the other team.

We tried to get 50% for our deco rig but were unable to get the gas on short notice. Next time, we're talking about actually hitting the debris field and the bow.

Back
Top Bottom