Must see sites in Coz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bdshort

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Got my leave request at work approved, so I'll be in Coz from the 28th Dec - 4th of January, then Akumal from the 4th - 10th. What are the must see dive sites I should make sure I hit while in Coz? I have the Scuba Diving Magazine with their list of sites... any comments on these, or other suggestions? I plan on booking a 4-5 day block of 2-tank diving, with a night dive or two thrown in. I'm thinking about going with Aldora or Blue XT Sea Diving for the op.

Brian

I cant say for cozumel as I havent seen many sites there...
However what I CAN say is that you should not under any circumstance miss out on the cenotes..

Oh, I know! I posted a separate thread in the main Mexico forum for Akumal and the mainland.

bdshort
All the dive sites in Coz have something to offer. Pretty much you can't go wrong. For first dives of the day the Columbia and Palancar reefs are great and second dives I really love Punta Tunich. So far my favorite dive site is Maracaibo. However, the conditions have to be right in able to dive this site. I dove it with Aldora in May and the coral was magnificent. I would highly recommend Aldora and I love the fact that they use steel 120's giving you a longer down time. Enjoy your trip.

Columbia deep and Palacar Bricks........ two best deep dives, swimming around between columns of coral that resemble the Rocky Mts. Very very very cool dives! :D The wreck C-53 is pretty cool too.
Paseo de Cedral is a pure adrenaline rush - current there is usually blazing. You just get pulled along at Mach 3, dodging the coral heads.

shallow dives - they are all cool.

It's all good. If I may, it sounds like your schedule is perhaps overly ambitious for 4-5 days. Two tank dives in the morning, a couple of night dives, and cenotes? Especially if you're planning on cenotes in Akumal and/or the mainland. There will be a considerable amount of travel time involved in that. I would suggest setting some priorities and then a well thought out schedule. True the mainland is not that far from the island, but hey it's Mexico. You'll have more travel time added than just the time it takes to cross the channel. I know from experience. Whatever you decide, you will love it. You mentioned Leave Request...might you be one of our brave military folk? If so, I can relate to your excitement. Leave was a magic word when I served.

waynel:
It's all good. If I may, it sounds like your schedule is perhaps overly ambitious for 4-5 days. Two tank dives in the morning, a couple of night dives, and cenotes? Especially if you're planning on cenotes in Akumal and/or the mainland. There will be a considerable amount of travel time involved in that. I would suggest setting some priorities and then a well thought out schedule.

He's in Coz for 7 nights then Akumal (Mainland) for another 7. That should be enough. It's just a 4-5 day block of diving while he's in Coz. Coming from where he's coming from, AK, I'd be obsessively ambitious.

I'll second Punta Sur followed by Columbia Shallows. Cenotes too along with Tortugas on the mainland. I will say this about the cenotes... it's vastly different from ocean diving so book one day to see if you like it before committing to multiple days of it.

As for Cozumel, Maracaibo is my absolute favorite dive site. If you want to dive the eastern shore and maybe see the Spanish Galleon cannons, then Aldora is the ticket.

As for Akumal, you need to go to HiddenWorlds for world-class cenote/cave diving or snorkeling. If you have never been, then Xel-Ha should not be missed, if you would enjoy spending the day in an eco-park and floating down a river.

VERY short list: Columbia Deep, Columbia Shallows, San Francisco, Tormentos, Chun Chacab, All the Palancars (4 in all)...actually if just get in a boat and fall in the water over a reef...that's a great dive site.:d

Talk to the DM's also, they dive there every day and know what reefs have had the best condtions and where particular critters have been hanging out over the past weeks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom