Must have lenses...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nice, what lens? 60mm right?

Have to say sorry, but a good friend of mine opened my thoughts for one detail on the 60x105 thing...

Having started on SLR photo with film (full-frame) and straight out to the 105 (which was a natural choice), I got so used to that, and so fond of super-macro that I might have missed one small (DX sized) detail.

On a DX sensor the 60mm is equivalent to a 90mm (very close to the 105 angle-of-view), and the 105 goes to more than 150mm, which is closer (just a bit) to the 200mm... Having said that:

I DO agree that the 60mm is a better lens to suggest for a new DX DSLR shooter.

Just got back last month from a trip to Sipadan and Mabul islands in Borneo. I had a hard time trying to locate my subjects with the 105 on my D300. I put it down to the 45 degree viewfinder on my Sea & Sea MDX D300..... It was even more difficult when there was a current. Half the time, I was twisting and hunting trying to find what I had just seen seconds ago though my goggles! Super macro using the 105 and an Inon wet diopter simply increased the difficulty factor as well. However, there can be no substitute if thinking of doing supermacro.

As much as I love macro work, I found myself once taking the best photos of the trip with my Fisheye (Tokina 10-17). It was my first time using this lens and only my 2nd real dive trip using a DSLR housing (I passed my 100th dive on this trip). Here are a couple of my better shots.... they were taken with the Tokina 10-17 and the 60mm AF-S (with the woody's at times);

n582259232_866541_4548.jpg

n582259232_852149_183.jpg

n582259232_882233_1689.jpg

n582259232_882227_217.jpg

n582259232_880834_9080.jpg

The turtle is a world class photo, fantastic lighting!!

Marndrines are one of my favorite fishes, how cool to see one in it's natural habitat, (I know I need to get off the Western Hemisphere once in a while)

...note to self: Tonkia 10-17 :D

Then you get the issue of buying two cameras and having one with the 10-17mm Tokina and the other with the 60mm Macro and have a guide to carry the spare just in case.

My thoughts are:

For starters:
60mm Macro (i like my AF-D)
10-17mm Tokina
17-70 Sigma for things between the two above

For maybe later:
105mm Macro when your taking macro pics of critters which dont like you getting near them like you can with the 60mm.

Regards Aussie

Looks like good thoughts...
But don't you think that having a 10-17 and a 60, one wouldn't be diving much with the 17-70...
Why don't you suggest something for topside use only, like Nikon 16-85?

I would go out and buy the 60mm macro and Tokina 10-17mm straight away. These are my two favourite lenses.

The 17-70mm Sigma is a great lense for everything in between the Nikkor and the Tokina. Good when your doing a dive on a new site and don't know which lense to take. Its priced well too.

For on land use I recommend the Nikkor 18-200 VR. Simply a awesome lens.

Regards Aussie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom