Music

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On my two hour drive to the east coast most Fridays I listen to the radio, on the way back it's usually Pink Floyd or the Stones on my iPhone

Last week my daughter put all the Beatles albums on random play and confused the hell out of me as on some albums one tracks blends into the next (Abbey Road in particular) and I know what should be next, but when listening to Mean Mr. Mustard followed by say Dig a Pony or another track from a different album, it did my head in :confused:

You gotta do something on that hour long deco stop, right?

Even as a musician I wouldn't listen to anything UW, but again, off topic. I don't do tech., but an hr. long deco stop listening to music does make a lot of sense to me. I couldn't do it anyway as my walkman isn't waterproof......

These are the problems with current state of scuba MP3 players:

1) To my knowledge, currently no one manufacturers an mp3 player that can be safely taken beyond 25 feet. Most players you see are for swimmers and shower takers, if you were to use them for scuba, they would flood at some random depth. If you see a rating of 30 feet.. they lie.
2) There have been water-proof cases for popular (back then) MP3 players manufactured but it is hard to find them nowadays, those items are like 10 year old now. If you find one, I think those players have only 512MB or something.. not even a gig. Rare to find a working MP3 player for sale (for that specific case that would allow you to take the player hundreds of feet down), a depth-proof case for it, and headphones. Probably will cost you a lot for a 10 year old technology, plus, with current MP3 320bps sizes, you will be able to put only maybe a single album.
3) Headphones. Deeper you go, more power waterproof headphones need to make a sound -> to move water. Some depth headphones transfer a sound through your bone. Very hard to find them. Sound will not be as great as on the surface, some higher end frequencies will be cut and music will sound dull.

This is a summary of my research on this issue. I really wanted an mp3 player too but after my research I failed to find a compromise that would be worth the effort. Still hoping, though.

PS: Those who don't want the MP3 players under water - don't get them. Some people dive solo and they manage their own risk.

Mean Mr. Mustard followed by say Dig a Pony
Well ,that's just blasphemous.

Myself, I'd me more than happy to forgo Maggie Mae, as that track was thrown in by John just to be an a$$ to Paul and screw up for Let It Be, and I'd live happily if I didn't have to hear Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da ever again, since it's the most annoying tune that the Fab Four have ever recorded. But mixing tracks like that? Sacrilege.

PS: Those who don't want the MP3 players under water - don't get them. Some people dive solo and they manage their own risk.

By all means, enjoy...This particular poster is just getting his OW and will be somebody's dive buddy for awhile.

He's correct I've got one more open water practical till I qualify,,
I just thought listening to some of my favourite tunes whilst UW would be a great experience, but it's not exactly what you would do when working as a team, if my apprentice persisted in listening to head phones he'd be outa a job faster than **** of a shovel..

when my buddy wants me I want to be able to respond ASAP so I think I'll leave my Walkman on the boat..

Rocky

I don't do tech., but an hr. long deco stop listening to music does make a lot of sense to me...

I've fallen asleep. Seriously. (I wouldn't recommend this if you don't have a jon line... or an attentive buddy.)

but this guy isn't a solo diver and is a newbie...so the ought to pay attention suggestion is warranted. It's quite difficult to make noticeable noise underwater so anything obstructing that ensures you won't hear it, when sometimes you should, like your buddy. When you ride the motorcycle, the engine is your music.

And shuffle is the only way to go. Only buy original albums and never greatest hits, but shuffle is a good thing because every song is a surprise you are glad to get and forgot was coming.

And shuffle is the only way to go. Only buy original albums and never greatest hits, but shuffle is a good thing because every song is a surprise you are glad to get and forgot was coming.

Shuffle - a feature of Apple devices that utilizes a powerful algorithm to identify the two-dozen or so songs - out of the 10,000 on your device - that you really don't like or just aren't in the mood for right now.

Shuffle.jpg

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom