Murphy strikes again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Storker

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
close to a Hell which occasionally freezes over
# of dives
100 - 199
So, this week we were scouting for new sites. Fond a promising one at the outer edge of the archipelago, next stop Iceland. Some swell, but very manageable. Dropped and submerged, and found ourselves in a cleft with beautiful, 2-3m tall kelp forest. One of the best sites I've dived in a few months. Everything is swaying back and forth with the swell. 'Gorram!', thinks I, 'gotta get this on video!'. Turns on the Gopro, Gopro immediately dies. Turns on the GoPro again, same thing happens. Empty battery. 'OK', I think, ''stills, then'. Turns on the OM-D. Red battery icon, camera says 'empty battery' and dies.

The rest of the dive was with the camera rig clipped to my shoulder D-ring, both Gopro and OM-D quite dead. Very nice dive, but - alas - no pictures to show from it.

Last edited:
So, this week we were scouting for new sites. Fond a promising one at the outer edge of the archipelago, next stop Iceland. Some swell, but very manageable. Dropped and submerged, and found ourselves in a cleft with beautiful, 2-3m tall kelp forest. One of the best sites I've dived in a few months. Everything is swaying back and forth with the swell. 'Gorram!', thinks I, 'gotta get this on video!'. Turns on the Gopro, Gopro immediately dies. Turns on the GoPro again, same thing happens. Empty battery. 'OK', I think, ''stills, then'. Turns on the OM-D. Red battery icon, camera says 'empty battery' and dies.

The rest of the dive was with the camera rig clipped to my shoulder D-ring, both Gopro and OM-D quite dead. Very nice dive, but - alas - no pictures to show from it.

Why dead batteries? You forgot to put in fresh ones?

2nd dive of the day, probably forgot to turn off the cameras during the SI. Also, 2nd diving day in a remote location, with limited access to power for the battery charger. And as we all know, camera batteries show 'full... full... full... oh, crap, dead!'

A typical case of "stuff happens".

None in our waters. I'd love to see one, but I guess we'll have pretty decent skiing conditions in a certain place before I encounter one of those around here.

We saw a beautiful, bright orange lumpsucker, though. Of course, since my cameras died I can't prove that, but here's a similar one from a dive last year.

Last edited:
Sounds familiar, except my batteries were good, just that pesky lens cap still on the lens inside the housing...
you just need a more complete pre dive routine. i power up my camera and strobes, zoom in and shoot off a couple of shots while looking at the lights on my strobes.

I have a predive routine, but was late and rushed, omitting that step. I was irritated, still had a great dive, watching my partner snap away with his rig. He was nice enough to snap a pic of me with camera pulled together and in tow....
George Saltwater June 25 2015.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom