Municipal dive work

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mnydvr

Reaction score
hey whats up,
I own and run a dive service in central Jersey,I do alot of work in marinas in jersey city area,one of the marinas docks the fire boats for jersey city.What I would like to know is who should I try to contact about a contract to work for the city on thier equipment?Are there any firefighters or policemen on the board that may be able to direct me in this matter?Just for the record this does not apply only to jersey city.your help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Danny/ owner/ Danny's Dive & mechanical Service

What work do you actually do?

hey whats up,
I own and run a dive service in central Jersey,I do alot of work in marinas in jersey city area,one of the marinas docks the fire boats for jersey city.What I would like to know is who should I try to contact about a contract to work for the city on thier equipment?Are there any firefighters or policemen on the board that may be able to direct me in this matter?Just for the record this does not apply only to jersey city.your help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Danny/ owner/ Danny's Dive & mechanical Service

It would probably be best for you to contact the attorney that assisted you in forming your business. I'll bet that you are not in a good position to hand the City a proposal or bid.

We actually cover mechanical , electrical ,installations ,just about anything a boat needs.As far as dive work goes,lets just say what ever would need to be done out of the water , we can do in, short of bottom painting we cover all of it we are a FULL service service,we are mostly employed by owners of bigger stuff averaging above 60' mostly on vessels that comute thesnowbird route from Canada to florida, we do thier service work at a mid point in thier winter to summer and summer to winter work , they lay over and we do all of thier service work and underwater work rather than waiting and/ or lifting them.As far as the legal end from the previous poster,this is not a small time op. we are fully insured and N.J. licensed,to do what we do ,as far as a bid would goes , knowing what I know about the business I do , a would not hesitate or even flinch.All I needed was information on the matter at hand.You do not get to where I am without knowing how to pitch a bid and get it. We are committed ONLY to excellence!!. The idea here is growth and stability , we do not use our attorney for matters such as these,all I really needed to know was if there was anyone able to give me a leg up , with the knowledge of protocol under which to follow to GET a bid in on a contract like this,again , can anyone lend a hand?

I guess as always in life ,you can't depend on anyone!thanks a bunch guys!!

Normally, at least in the cities around me, contacts go up for competitve bid. The city puts out an RFP. There is an RFP clearing house, but sorry, I don't recall it's name. Even then, not all cities use it. Talk to the city's purchasing dept and ask about contracts, is there a contract in place, expiration, RFP's etc?

IS that what you wanted?

I guess as always in life ,you can't depend on anyone!thanks a bunch guys!!

Slow down a bit on the disappointment. You're not in a section of the board that deals with what you are asking. PSD's are not commercial divers which could better answerer your question.

Sorry to disappoint you.

Gary D.

I used to live on Block Island, and got the jobs to retrieve mooring's from the towns harbors. I got the jobs because I befriended the harbor masters. I used to hang out at the docks and wait for boats to come in that needed work, like untangling a line on a prop, retrieving stuff dropped by rich people from their boats into the water, cleaning boat bottoms, picking up gear dropped by boat captains, etc.... Eventually, it lead to the mooring work, which was easy and paid well. I only wished my time there was longer than it was, because I was making lots of $ (cash is always nice, and it was more than I was making on my regular job). So, to answer your question, in my situation, it was making connections with the people who knew other people. It also didn't hurt that I gave the harbor masters a case of beer each week to make sure he called me when a boat needed a diver.

well I guess I WAS going about it the right way,I'll stay on the capt. in charge of the fire bos\at at the marina I work in and may his contact will lead somewhere in the mean time I guess I'll have to find out if there even IS a bid available,sorry for the rant but trying to build or should I say BETTER a business AND be determined can get a bit...shall we say ...manic?
thanks guys

so we're gonna share day to day stories,ok,check this out ! A guy calls me ,tells me he lost a $10,000 rolex and wants it found,it came off going up the gang way on his yacht,so I tell him the finders fee is 15%, he agrees,I break out the gear,the metal detector, lay out a rope grid under the boat attached to his mooring poles in his slip and proceed to search,on the second day I find it.I give him his watch ,it was REALLY nice,anyway,about 3 days later I get a call from an insurance co.,seems the marina had a lost item claim filed to them by the guy who hired me,the marina called them to advise them that the watch was found(I have NO idea WHY)they inturn were told that I found it.Not knowing the deal I advised them that I had found the watch and was paid a fee for recovery,they inturn advised me that he had been paid $19,000 dollars for the loss of the insured jewelery,they offered me the difference of my finders fee to sign an affidavid stating that I was hired AND paid for the recovery and documented the find,I got another check and he got arrested for insurance fraud!! AHHH yes! the life of a diver is for me!

Back
Top Bottom