Multiple problems with new GoPro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freewillie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This is my first foray into the world of underwater photography/videography. My family decided to get me a GoPro Hero 4 silver for Christmas. As I eagerly opened the box and started taking video (my wife had inserted an SD card and charged the batteries ahead of time!) the camera started taking video for about 30 seconds then gave me a "camera busy" signal and I would have to restart the video.

I downloaded the GoPro App to both my iPad and iPhone. The app will pair with my camera then give me a trouble shooting screen that tells me that they can no longer find my camera. It then gives me a list of things to try to reset the connection. The camera however gives me a blinking blue light and per the camera thinks its still paired.

When I started taking video the camera again stops with "camera busy" or even gives me a "files under repair." We have to reset the camera to start the video again. When I then go to replay the video the whole playback screen goes black and I can't get the camera to respond until I take out the battery and turn the camera back on.

At first I thought it was my SD card but I'm using a 32G Sandisk EXtreme with a level 10 rating. It's on the recommended list of SD cards by GoPro. I then tried to manually upgrade the soft ware since it won't pair wirelessly. I inserted the SD card to the computer, downloaded the Zipfile, and reinserted the disk to the camera and it still doesn't work properly.

I'm not sure if it's the camera itself or the SD card or both. Did anyone else have so many problems with their GoPro out of the box or did you simply start taking video and photo without problems. I did call GoPro directly and the recommended the soft ware upgrade first before they would make any other recommendations but I have no idea how the camera should behave to start with. I don't think I should be having this many problems.

Thanks.

Regarding pairing the camera and iPhone, I was having problems until I went into the settings for the phone and made sure that the cellular data was turned on for the GoPro app.
And as Jim says, make sure you formatted the SD card. I had files from my hero3 on mine and that seemed to screw the new camera up.

At first it sounded like you weren't using a "fast" enough memory card but you said it's a class 10 and that's what I use with no issues. I'd say it was the card but the issues with connecting to your phone make me wonder if your camera is messed up. I haven't had any problems with my Hero 4 silver so I guess I'm really no help.

I downloaded the first set of video from skiing then reformatted the card. Settings for blue tooth on both iPad and iPhone list the GoPro as one of the devices. Cellular data is on.

When I tried manually downloading the software update it has the zip file in the unnamed file like it shows on the demo page.

I'm beginning to think its the camera but since this is my first I don't know what's "normal."

I have also recently decided to spring for a GoPro, it was freezing up out of the box, and their support had me go over 3 different memory cards, until they finally admitted that the camera is defective... if you ordered yours via Amazon like I did, they will issue you a replacement overnight with no questions asked. Warranty repair via GoPro, on the other hand, apparently takes at least 10 business days, and requires you to jump through some hoops to prove that the camera is broken. You want to make sure not to procrastinate with the return, so that warranty repair does not end up being your only available option...

Thanks! I thought it was the SD card at first but with the playback problems and pairing problems I'm beginning to think its the camera itself.

As long as you used the Camera to format the card, I don't have an explanation. Contact GoPro and see if they can help... When I had a problem, they were very helpful in getting the problem resolved (mine involved reloading the camera operating system).

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom