Multiple Mantas this week at Ulua Beach!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shaka Doug

Contributor
Reaction score
Kihei, Maui, Hawaii 96753, middle of the 808!
# of dives
Hey all, if you would like to see what the conditions were like a couple days ago here at Ulua Beach on Maui have a look at this video.

We were just coming off a large south swell that hit over the weekend and tore up some beaches to the south. Ulua Beach (in Wailea) had the calmest water around so I made a couple dives there on Monday, March 22nd. One in the morning, the other in the afternoon. We were hoping the water would clear up as we got further out and it did a little but never really got to be more than about 20-25 feet of viz. The cool thing is that the low viz brought in some mantas. They made a couple of single-file fly-bys mid dive and became the highlight of the day. I saw a solo one on the first dive and then a pair playing "follow the leader" later in the afternoon. This dive was made at about 2:30 pm. The day was cloudy, cool and almost looked like it could rain. The whales were vocalizing but not all that loud. If you listen closely you can hear them in the background. We also saw a tiny frogfish, turtles, an octopus and a couple of eels, one being the dwarf moray that is at the end of the clip.

I've certainly had nicer conditions but it didn't matter much. This was a very enjoyable dive for me and my guest and I celebrated in true shaka style with a couple of cold ones with some friends afterwards. Next stop... dive #4,000. Who's in?

Wow -- what a great pair of dives! We have done a fair number of dives at Ulua and other Maui sites, but have yet to see mantas. Lucky you!

That's good stuff, Shaka Doug. We had a few reports this weekend of a manta in Hanauma Bay but we failed to find him. BTW, early congrats on 4,000.

Peace,
Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom