Multiple e-mails for updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Howard... got a thought here...

vBulletin initates it's scheduled tasks when people view the page (rather than via a cronjob). This is easier for setup but becomes a problem with you have 1000+ people on who all trigger the same update at once on 2 or 4 different web servers. People are moving faster than the database is getting updated so all the webservers "go" at the same time.

Why not kill the $cronjob variable (in the footer template) and set a true cronjob from one of the servers (maybe turn down that load priority too) so just one is handling all of the email alerts, threads notices, etc.

You may have done this long ago, just an idea.

Last edited:
I got only one notification of some things today, but three notifications of Ted S' post.

I'm still getting multiple notifications. mostly on PM's and social groups notifications.

typically I get 2-4 emails on it when it's doing it. it's REALLY annoying.

Howard... got a thought here...

vBulletin initates it's scheduled tasks when people view the page (rather than via a cronjob). This is easier for setup but becomes a problem with you have 1000+ people on who all trigger the same update at once on 2 or 4 different web servers. People are moving faster than the database is getting updated so all the webservers "go" at the same time.

Why not kill the $cronjob variable (in the footer template) and set a true cronjob from one of the servers (maybe turn down that load priority too) so just one is handling all of the email alerts, threads notices, etc.

You may have done this long ago, just an idea.

Thanks for the idea Ted. I'll take a look when I get home from Chicago.

I got 3 emails for SB updates this morning. appropriately 2 of them were for "Multiple e-mails for updates" :popcorn:

I haven't forgotten this; just not making much progress.

It is getting better. It is still happening but only 3 or 4 at a time. Some days it does not happen at all.

Every time someone posts a reply to a thread I'm subscribed to, I get as many as 5 e-mails from ScubaBoard notifying me of the same post. Anyone else experiencing this? Is there a fix?

I think you can go to your profile settings and change how often SB sends you emails about updates to threads you're subscribed to.

Back
Top Bottom