Multi-dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwlast

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok, so I'm doing a dive to 40ft. I get lost, surface to look for the boat, spend a couple seconds at the surface, spot the boat and return back to 40 ft. About 10 minutes later I think I've passed to boat, resurface from 40ft, spot the boat after a couple seconds and return to 40ft to get back to the boat.

Question is, from a physiological perspective, have I just done 3 short dives to 40 ft with basically no surface interval for working the dive tables to figure out a PG?

I think I know the answer, just looking to verify!

Thanks

JT

jwlast:
Question is, from a physiological perspective, have I just done 3 short dives to 40 ft with basically no surface interval for working the dive tables to figure out a PG?
I think I know the answer, just looking to verify!
Thanks
JT
This is like a Fish Farm diver. An interesting study and report on this here:
http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrhtm/rr214.htm

Regards
RossH

I WOULD LIKE TO ASK THE MEDICAL AND DECOMPRESSION GURU's on the Board to give their opinion to this report's findings.

In reading the report and the conclusions prepared on Yo Yo Diving (refer to the reference in RossH above), which not only looks at fish farm work but also includes a look at dive instructor's diving, the following statements are made in the conclusion of the report;

". . . One conclusion that can be drawn for all depths is that No-D diving puts the brain at particular risk. The rates of ascent though generally slow enough to protect the faster tissues are not slow enough to protect the brain. In general the accepted No-D tables do not protect the brain."

"A second conclusion that can be drawn for all depths is that tables drawn up for repet diving to not take into account the way in which the presence of bubbles slows down the removal of gas from the body. Though not a major part of this report this aspect of decompression is touched on in discussion of the profiles shown in Figure 7. These two conclusions lead the author to believe that dive computers currently in use may not be suitable as a means of determining safe yo-yo diving procedures."

NOTE THAT AS THIS IS A 2004 REPORT, THE REFERENCE TO DIVE COMPUTERS CURRENTYY IN USE MUST BE ASSUMED BY THE READER TO BE CONTEMPORANEOUS COMPUTERS/

While the report's conclusion goes on to state "The main conclusions from this work are that yo-yo diving of the type traditionally practiced in fish farm diving can be very safe . . .", it should be noted that this report used 4 ATA for dive instructors and typically 2 ATA or less for fish farmers.

FOR READERS NOT METRIC ORIENTED, 2 ATA IS 10 METERS OR 33 FEET, AND 4 ATA IS 30 METERS OR 100 FEET.

MY QUESTION/CONCERN IS FURTHER COMPLICATED BY THE REPORT CONCLUSION'S FINAL STATEMENT;

"Though, as far as we have the requisite knowledge, it seems that for the depths covered in this report bubble formation in the brain does not reach levels which can be said to be dangerous, once bubbles form there is a random element to the risk."

It seems to contradict itself twice. Once on the risk to the brain of No-D diving and once on the danger of Yo Yo diving in that they note that it can be very safe, and even safer than following a standard dive table profile, but yet note that dive computers may not be safe for Yo-Yo diving. While I can understand that the dive computer would follow the actual dive profile and thus have less bottom time than a square dive profile none-the-less, there is the general assumption throughout the report that it is evaluating bubble formation within No-Deco time limits.

So what I get from this thread is that if a person were to be practicing an emergency ascen,( that is asceding without the stage two in a persons mouth and while exhaling through the mouth) would be considered risky, and be considered a repetitive dive.

Then how does one get to be domfortable with handling emergency situations?

STOGEY:

How does one get used to car accidents, avoid them in the first place.........

STOGEY:
So what I get from this thread is that if a person were to be practicing an emergency ascen,( that is asceding without the stage two in a persons mouth and while exhaling through the mouth) would be considered risky, and be considered a repetitive dive.
As I read the report it 'appears' to be saying that the brain gray matter is at risk due to the concatenation of two physiological aspects of the dive; 1) the Rate of Ascent and 2) the Dive Time considered non-deco time by present dive tables.

I asked for an opinion as this would seem to fly in the face of everything being taught and more important, in the face of empirical evidence, as I know it.

It may be just poor communications on the part of the authors or the reader (me).

ShakaZulu:
How does one get used to car accidents, avoid them in the first place.........
While one can plan and prepare and 'try' to avoid mistakes and situations which lead to accidents, in fact accidents do happen. The No-deco dive tables were developed to 'try' to keep us out of harms way (the planning and preparing part), but we all know that accidents happen. I am not addressing 'accidents' here, but rather the development of safe No-deco tables, their associated ascent times, and the conclusions the authors of the Yo Yo Diving Report put forth.

Aside from the question of the physiological effect of gas expansion during ascent, your recommendation - 'avoiding accidents' is an oxymoron.

It takes up to about five minutes for significant bubbling to occur once ambient pressure drops sufficiently. So a brief surface interval to check position should not be a big deal.

Doing so repeatedly, especially as one nears the "no decompression" limits, will increase the risk. I would not worry too much about it at 40 feet if you are well within the non deco limits.

Remember, when Navy divers are on missions, they omit decompression, surface, and then they have to get into the chamber within five minutes where they are recompressed and then slowly decompressed.

STOGEY:
PRACTICE -- Practice will help you change ‘worrying’ (or for some divers, 'bravado') into ‘intelligent reacting’. Like everything in life, diving is no different. We get better at anything - the more we do it. Reading and understanding theory helps us with the ‘why’, but nothing will serve you (and your buddy) better in the water than hands-on practice of emergency procedures.

Back
Top Bottom