Multi-Day Dive Boat Buying Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For use out in the ocean, a $ 1,0000.00 depth finder gets you little more than a toy.

For use out in the ocean, a $ 1,0000.00 depth finder gets you little more than a toy.

At first I thought your dollar amount was a typo, then I factored in the sonar and radar cost along with a Garmin 8610xsv...why couldn't I have picked a cheap hobby like aviation o_O

More seriously, what do you run for a plotter, sonar and radar combo?

Cheers!

On a sidebar, does anyone have input on how to safely store O2? I'm leery of where I want to put any accelerants, and the engine bay seems like a really bad idea.

I am assuming this is emergency O2. To carry a decent volume, put it out in your (outside) tank rack. A 100cf steel industrial bottle or if you have the diving cert convert an al80 to O2 service and get that filled at a dive shop.

I am assuming this is emergency O2. To carry a decent volume, put it out in your (outside) tank rack. A 100cf steel industrial bottle or if you have the diving cert convert an al80 to O2 service and get that filled at a dive shop.

Yes, initially just emergency O2, but later on, once I have some experience with the boat and want to go further afield, I will have to figure out a way to get a compressor onboard and blend on the go. One step at a time.

Yes, initially just emergency O2, but later on, once I have some experience with the boat and want to go further afield, I will have to figure out a way to get a compressor onboard and blend on the go. One step at a time.
100cf of O2 will make about 700cf of 32% via a stick.

I would get more smaller industrial supply bottles vs one big one. Depending on how much you want to make 2 or 3 100 or 125cf is a reasonable size that you could wrangle on or off the boat to get refilled. A 250cf is heavy AF and you're much more likely to drop it or chip gelcoat etc.

PS you can get 125cf bottles of industrial o2 from Central Welding. Dont bother trying to get medical from them, they will hassle you forever and its the same stuff anyway

100cf of O2 will make about 700cf of 32% via a stick.

I would get more smaller industrial supply bottles vs one big one. Depending on how much you want to make 2 or 3 100 or 125cf is a reasonable size that you could wrangle on or off the boat to get refilled. A 250cf is heavy AF and you're much more likely to drop it or chip gelcoat etc.

PS you can get 125cf bottles of industrial o2 from Central Welding. Dont bother trying to get medical from them, they will hassle you forever and its the same stuff anyway

Thanks, that definitely sounds like good advice. I work right next to an AirGas shop and know the manager, so I can even get HE with some reliability when I pull the trigger on a CCR unit. It's a good thing I'm a SINK, no Valentines Day obligation and college funds = scuba/boat funds :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom