Muffled ear after cert dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris Fotache

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
This weekend I went for my 4 certification dives (quarry, fresh water, quite warm). I did a Discover Scuba a few months ago in the Carribean, and while it was fun, I had big trouble equalizing my ears. Back to the weekend, Saturday I had major trouble equalizing on the 2nd dive. No major pain, but pressure was building and eventually aborted. Instructor was very nice to offer to let me do it again... After waiting, he took me really slowly, like a foot at a time, waiting till everything felt OK, and made it down to 30ft ok for some skills.

Later that evening, my left ear was a bit muffled. No pain, but like when you stay for too long in the pool and water is left there. It was better by the time I went to sleep, but still persisting the next morning (even a bit in m right ear). I went back for the other 2 dives, and the instructor told me to stop if anything hurts. Again, no pain, just the weird feeling that there's something in my ear. I was really worried that I wouldn't be able to finish it but surprisingly, the whole day, I had no trouble equalizing! And there were more than 2 descents (1 after doing CESA... then 1 extra cause during underwater compass nav we ended up... well.. surfacing). I was happy that the issues were gone and everything felt comfortable and relaxed, but the muffled ear continued for the rest of the day.

Today (a day later) it feel even more muffled. There is absolutely no pain, just a weird feeling and, most importantly, I can barely hear with that ear. I'm also extremely tired (both days started at 7:30am, I'm not a morning person at all, it was very hot, I was very stressed out). There's no vertigo, nausea, etc.

Any ideas if I should worry about it? I read about middle ear barotrauma, and fluid accumulation that just goes away in a few days or even weeks. But none of the stories I read mentioned diving for a 2nd day with no equalization issues while having the muffled ear.

Same problem when I started to dive 11 years ago. But it was no big deal. The water drained away in a few days & I was back to normal.

The problem is in the first dive & the first 20' of your descent, if you don't equalize routinely for every 2-3' regardless whether you feel the pressure or not, there is a good chance that the water already get into your middle ear passage behind the eardrum. Then it'll take a few days to drain away while you are on dry land. By continuing to dive on the subsequent hours or days, the trapped water would take longer time to drain out of your sinus passage, which is already waterlogged.

Even for me after a week of diving (3-4 times/ day), I can feel how saturated my sinus with water. By simply sitting up during surface interval, water can simply dripping out of my nose. But I'm no longer having that water trapped in my middle ear passage by having that discipline of equalizing every 2-3' for the first 20' of descent regardless you feel the pressure or not. My longest dive trip was 12 days straight & logging 40 dives without any ear problem (knock on wood) by following that discipline.

I went down too fast a couple times when I was first starting diving and gave myself mild barotrauma... it fixed itself in a couple days, but definitely muffled hearing for a day or two. The reason I found out it was mild barotrauma is because I went to an ENT.

I suggest scheduling with an ENT, because it will probably take a few days to get an appointment in. Either by that point it will have resolved itself and you can decide if to go or not, or you'll still have ear problems and should definitely keep the appointment. Run it past DAN (call them) and maybe they can suggest an ENT in your area with SCUBA medicine experience too.

I had the same issue not too long after getting certified. Clear early and often and don't try to clear too hard.

But like others have said I went to an ENT to confirm, you may want to do the same. I'm not a doctor, but I'd recommend staying out of the water until it clears up.

IMO the instructor did you no favor allowing you to continue. That's pretty much like the coach saying it's OK to play on a badly sprained ankle. You are just doing more damage, potentially permanent damage. The reason you maybe got away with it (somewhat) is your middle ear was already filled with non-compressible fluid.

Don't dive again until this clears up. I suggest you spend some time reading this:
Ear Injuries in diving Michael Rothschild, MD

Then watch the video:
Ear Equalising Techniques

It is a VERY common problem. There are lots of resources available if you search.

I use Walmart ear dry after dives. It helps, even though I don't really like the glycerin feeling in my ear after the alcohol dries. I usually clear my ears after a dive as well. It seems to help the water make its way out.

The fatigue after your first dives is very common. It gets better. Certification activity along with the stress of learning new skills underwater is more taxing than most recognize. We had a three hour drive back and I could barely stay awake while my wife and daughters were out (like comatose out) the second we left. The post dive nap is a welcome and much needed ritual on our dive trips. Nitrox seems to help. Our last Cozumel trip we dove nitrox and did not need the after lunch nap, and when we took one, it was much shorter than average.

Remember to equalize early and equalize often, take it slow, and enjoy the time. Welcome to the hobby/addiction. All that money is not going to spend itself!!!

Good luck,
Jay

Thank you for your responses!

And the instructor did tell me to stop if I feel any pain, but that 2nd day, I really had no issues with my ears or any kind of other discomfort. I'm also sure I did a lot better, probably it was the first dive where I kinda forgot to equalize enough.

So I'll wait and see... I'm the kind of person that almost never goes to doctors, but I decided if it's not over by the end of the week I'll have to consider it. Instead, I spent a lot of time today with Dr. Google lol.

The ears generally get better on their own. IMPORTANT, like a sprain you've done some damage. Even when this seems a lot better you may have some residual swelling that will compromise clearing.
IF YOU CAN'T CLEAR ON LAND......YOU CAN'T CLEAR IN THE WATER.

If you start having any fever, malaise, or increased pain you should see a physician. Occasionally these turn into a middle ear infection. Antibiotics are seldom required.

If you spend time with Dr. Google you will soon realize that due to your ear issue, you are gonna die. Prolly tomorrow, before noon. Damn you Googles!!

And that will mostly be due to the asteroid that's hitting us tomorrow. Or the dirty water at the Olympics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom