Mozambique Diving - Advice Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sbloomer

Contributor
Reaction score
Barring carrying a gun :wink: (another thread), I'm looking for advice on dive operators in Mozambique. I suppose I'd be looking at Southern Moz. because we want to drive in. Can anyone make any recommendations and provide some advice? SADiver - you been there at all?

Simon

Simon,

Firstly ,should you wish to drive anywhere in southern Mozambique, I would advise the use of some sort of utility vehicle, IOW, not a normal sedan. I go up there fairly regularly and use a Nissan Hardbody 2x4. The roads, or lack therof, will most likely cause a fair amount of damage to normal cars.

You are faced with three basic choices in Southern Mozambique. Ponta do Ouro, Ponta Malangane and Ponta Mamoli. Ponta do Ouro being the most commercially developed of the lot, and the closest to SA. My personal choice of dive operator there would have to be Simply Scuba (www.simplyscuba.co.za) as they offer extremely comprehensive packages. You can expect everything to be catered for with the exclusion of booze. About 40 minutes up the coast you will find Ponta Malangane, a well established resort with some awesome diving right on their doorstep. About 30-40% more expensive than Simply Scuba, but nice in thet you are more isolated. I will get an email address for you should you want one. There has recently been a change in management, so things may be a bit chaotic at the moment though. Lastly is Ponta Mamoli. Absolutely stunning. But very exclusive, with even more exclusive pricing. When I win Lotto thats where I am off to. The operator at Mamoli is managed/owned by Simply Scuba as well. Pricing and photos are available on their website.

Give me a shout if you want any other info.

Work is boring.

No Really.

SADivemaster

Thanks for the advice. I've done some hunting around and it seems as if Ponta Malongane may be the place for me.... www.BeachandBush.co.za have quite a nice package, but it's but more expensive than SimplyScuba. I'll contact SS to give me a quote.

Is there any merit to doing more than a 3 night 5 dive package? I was thinking of an extra day and a couple more dives.

WRT a vehicle, I drive a Renault Scenic which I have had on some pretty crap roads. As our planned trip is part of a 3 week trip exploring the Natal Parks, I'm not going to be hiring anything.

I notice now that SimplyScuba say that a 4x4 is required to get to Ponta de Ouro from the Kosi Bay border Post but no mention of this is made by BeachAndBush for Ponta Malongane. However SS also state that vehicles can be left in a lockup on the SA side of the border at around 30 bucks a day.

I wonder if Malongane have a pick up facility?

Simon

Having now found the Malongane web site I see they do say a 4x4 should be used but they do also transfers.

Ponta Malangane is a fantastic place. Most importantly there is a bloody brilliant bar!!!

WRT your Scenic. Let's put it this way, if I was going up there I wouldn't take my Scenic, unless it is the 4x4 one. It is not that the roads are bad, it is more that there are no roads! There are paths through the thick sand that vehicles follow. I will send you some photos if you are interested in what it looks like. There is however another option. All the operators can provide a shuttle service to and from the Kosi Bay border post in their own 4x4 vehicles. Ponto Malangane I would guess is aroung 25km from the border, but the roads push the trip up to around 40 minutes. What you could do, is take the shuttle service, have a look at the roads on the way, and then decide whether you are willing to take your car on the roads. If so, you pay the R100 shuttle fee and collect your car.

I find it good fun taking an off road capable vehicle up there as there are plenty of places to go explore in the car. If you could maybe rent one from Durban for the days you are up there? Although renting a 4x4 for a trip to Ponto could get pricey.

I don't think there would be overly much point in staying more than the package offers. I generally stay on a 3 night/5 dive package and find that to be just about right. Should you want to stay on, why not try Ponta da Ouro? or Mamoli?

SADivemaster:
I don't think there would be overly much point in staying more than the package offers. I generally stay on a 3 night/5 dive package and find that to be just about right. Should you want to stay on, why not try Ponta da Ouro? or Mamoli?

Thanks for the advice. I do want to go, but I can't afford to hire a 4x4 for those days - 3 weeks in Natal does tend to get expensive anyway. I guess I'll leave the trusty Scenic at the border. What accommodation did you stay in? The Dive Camp?

Simon

I presume you mean in Malangane. I camped while there. There are however small chalets available. When I get home I'll email you some photos. Please PM me your email address.

SADivemaster

My wife and I have had a long discussion about this trip (she's a non-diver), and we have decided to can our 3 week Natal trip and would rather spend the bucks on a shorter fly-in trip to... um not quite sure where yet... Or options at this stage are Bazaruto or Inhaca or the land based Barra Lodge which is a little cheaper. Inhaca is quite far south compared to the others so don't know how much difference there will be.

I suppose I need to do some research. Problem is we can't get pricing information as bookings for 2005 only open in September.

In the meantime I still await the housing for my Canon S1is :clock:

Back
Top Bottom