Moving up to HID...some questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tlawler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm thinking of moving my trusty old AUL halogen to backup status and buying a new HID canister light. I've looked at just about every mfr. that makes them (Dive Rite, Halcyon, OMS, Sartek, Green Force, Pro-Watt, Salvo, Niterider and a few others I can't remember offhand). I've pretty much settled on Sartek; they have a switchable 21/13 watt with the switch on the handmount instead of the canister and with a lithium-ion battery for right around a thousand bucks (MSRP, still waiting for a price from a dealer that may be less). I was wondering if there were any Sartek owners out there who had opinions on the quality and workmanship of the heads and canisters. The canister, for instance has a screw-on cap instead of the latches I'm familiar with. As far as bang for the buck, it seems like you can get a lot more for your money from Sartek, or is this a case of "if it's too good to be true, it probably is"?

diversolo:
I'm thinking of moving my trusty old AUL halogen to backup status and buying a new HID canister light. I've looked at just about every mfr. that makes them (Dive Rite, Halcyon, OMS, Sartek, Green Force, Pro-Watt, Salvo, Niterider and a few others I can't remember offhand). I've pretty much settled on Sartek; they have a switchable 21/13 watt with the switch on the handmount instead of the canister and with a lithium-ion battery for right around a thousand bucks (MSRP, still waiting for a price from a dealer that may be less). I was wondering if there were any Sartek owners out there who had opinions on the quality and workmanship of the heads and canisters. The canister, for instance has a screw-on cap instead of the latches I'm familiar with. As far as bang for the buck, it seems like you can get a lot more for your money from Sartek, or is this a case of "if it's too good to be true, it probably is"?

Diversolo,

Regarding some of the issue you are enquiring about, I will not discuss specific competitors on the board in a negative way. What I can tell you about our lighting systems is that the items listed on the side bar separate us from them. Our price point is very competitive and your Green Force system will never become obsolete. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Thanks - Greg

Diversolo, I am looking at that same light. Did you end up getting it and are you happy with it?

I think any of the lights in your initial search are all good quality lights. I would probably shy away from the niterider, but if I got a good deal on one I would still take it. I have not heard of the pro watt you mentioned. As far as sartek I think he makes a light series that has latches instead of screw on now. If I were sold on sartek I would probably prefer latches.

I am of course partial to Salvo but everyone makes good lights for the most part now.

Brent

Back
Top Bottom