Moving up to DSLR/ what to do with old Inon D-2000 strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pakman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've jumped on the DSLR bandwagon and I'm starting look for lenses, housings + ports, and strobes.

My dilemma. Bare with me as I'm still green around the colar about dual strobe use with DSLR's...

I have a Inon D-2000 (non "w" model) which I have used with my Canon compact camera. This strobe is only optically triggered; no option for a sync cord like the newer D-2000w and Z-240. I plan on buying the new Inon Z-240 as a primary Strobe for my DSLR. But can I use the D-2000 as a slave? I'm a bit confused on how the D-2000 would operate as a slave. Does it just sense the master strobe's flash through its optical sensor at the bottom (obviously I would have to set the slave strobe manually). Is that sufficient? I notice Inon sells an optical slave cord which you attach to the front of another Inon master strobe to trigger it. Is this required only so that it could possible get the slave to work in TTL?

Or am I better off selling it and getting another Z-240 which could be wired directly to the DSLR?

You could sell it to me!! Seriously, unless you want what you paid new...I have been thinking about getting one :)

Chad, if you're serious about one, I'll put you on the top of the list... Once I figure out what I need for my new setup, I'll shoot you a PM about selling the Inon D-2000.

Mike - but I wanted to annoy everyone on the Bali course with my slave strobe flashing everytime everyone else's strobe went off.

edit: chad I also have Inon accessories that might work with your camera DC800 housing... But, ideally I would like to sell it all off as a package...

IMG_3772_1.JPG

same boat as you pak as I also have a d2000. but, i'll wait a little longer before i plunge the dslr underwater. will have to monitor your progress :D

I'm looking for somee S70 accessories...what are you selling?

Colm

Is Dennis giving everybody DSLR envy? I know I got it from him.

I am getting the new D200... but not the housing....:p

I believe Inon makes something called an optical converter that you can add to the bulk head on the housing. It wil convert electrical to optical signal to trigger strobe. I have seen it before but not sure exactly how it works since I don't use Inon. May be you should check with Inon dealer. I don't know if the color temperature of the D2000 is identical to Z240 or not. If it is not that I would not mix the two strobes together.

Back
Top Bottom