Moving up to dSLR (Newbie)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverEdd

Reaction score
After having some marginal success shooting with a Canon G2 and Ikelite housing, I'm looking to upgrade to a dSLR like the Nikon D70 or Canon Digital Rebel. I primarily want the dSLR for land photos (the G2 is a bit slow), but I wanted advice on underwater photography.

With the G2, I shot in Auto mode, with the dSLR I think I will have to shoot in manual mode only, Is that correct? How big of pain is that? Do most people shoot manual anyways?
How difficult is it to frame pictures underwater with a dSLR?

Thanks for any advice

Actual TTL for Olympus is done and works superbly. Hope deciphered TTL systems for Canon and Nikon will be available by summer. Simple starting point for manual strobe settings is full power for subjects four feet from the strobe, then reduce intensity by one f/stop (two clicks on manual controller) for each foot closer............

I always tend to shoot with my DSLR in manual mode, although this is not really any different to aperture priority, as I simply leave the shutter speed at 1/125 (my S2's fastest sync speed) and simply adjust the aperture. If I want a fill-in flash shot, i.e. a reef scene, I tend to drop the shutter speed to 1/60th and then adjust the aperture to get the correct exposure. You can of course still use the "A" & "S" modes, but I'd recommend stearing clear of the "P" (some say "Pray") mode.

The S2 has a tiny viewfinder, but it's still miles better than having to compose with the LCD screen on my old Oly. Most housings have some type of magnified viewfinder built into the housing which helps too.

The virtually zero shutter lag was the biggest advantage for me!

Thanks Chippy and Ike...this helps and getting rid of the shutter lag will help greatly. I have too many pictures of fish butts or seal butts

DiverEdd:
After having some marginal success shooting with a Canon G2 and Ikelite housing, I'm looking to upgrade to a dSLR like the Nikon D70 or Canon Digital Rebel. I primarily want the dSLR for land photos (the G2 is a bit slow), but I wanted advice on underwater photography.

With the G2, I shot in Auto mode, with the dSLR I think I will have to shoot in manual mode only, Is that correct? How big of pain is that? Do most people shoot manual anyways?
How difficult is it to frame pictures underwater with a dSLR?

Thanks for any advice

One more chirp to say you will be very happy with a DSLR and NO shutter lag. I'm just slightly ahead of you in this game but can say that shooting in manual is not only easy but also keeps you flexible and thinking re depth of field via aperture changes. I can't speak for the housings you're looking at, composing via the Subal I got for my S2 is fine; albeit a small (n80) viewfinder on the S2, I can see the whole view through the mask w/o any problems.

The only thing I'd warn you to be prepared for, if you haven't discovered yet is the slippery slope $$. Housings, lighting, memory cards, portable storage - it never stops. But if you love doing it as I do, you'll have no regrets!
Glo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom