Moving to Thailand in June!!! Where should I go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigwaves

Reaction score
My buddy and I are moving to Thailand in June and will be there until October. We've checked out dive ops in Koh Tao like Crystal dives and Ban's dive resort but don't know which is better. The goal is to get our master diver's license by the end of the trip.

Also, recommendations on what I must go see or do would be helpful. I will have a lot of time so anywhere in Thailand is fair game. I am a budget traveler so cheaper recommendations are preferred.

Thanks!!!!

Bigwaves, you don't say what level of cert you are arriving with (and there's nothing in your profile to suggest whether you are already a diver), but I'm guessing you have OW training--maybe AOW too. To carry out your goal of continuing your diving education while you're in Thailand, you could actually move around to sample different areas of the country, doing a cert or two at each place and just diving in between. You can find lots of good accommodations bargains on the Andaman side, especially, during the time you will be here. Here's what I would do if it were me:

If you are interested in wreck diving, you might start out in the Gulf of Thailand, at Pattaya. The diving in the Gulf is generally disappointing compared to the Andaman side of Thailand, but for wrecks, that is where you want to go. If you don't already have the AOW, you will need to do this before your wreck cert to get the deep dive intro from that course out of the way, and then do wreck diving as one of your three elective adventure dives for the AOW. That dive can count as the first dive of your wreck specialty, which can be your first specialty course as you move towards your MSD goal.

While you are in the Gulf area, you might want to head down to Tao to check out the two most famous sites there--Chumphon Pinnacle and Sail Rock. You might get lucky and see some big fish.

Now leave the Gulf and head towards the Andaman side. Even though the period you will be here is our low season, we actually dive year round. If you are willing to risk some rough seas while you are sailing, you can even find boats that go out to the Similans during low season (for diving they go to sheltered sites). Head for Phuket to pick up another specialty or two, such as Fish ID and Digital Underwater Photo (which work really nicely together). And then move on down to Phi Phi to do your Rescue Diver course. Phi Phi has some sheltered beaches and I think it's nice to do Rescue as shore dives--no rush to get all those exercises and scenarios done while trying to adhere to a boat schedule. You will also need your CPR/First Aid cert to become a rescue diver, so if you already have that, make sure to take your documentation along or you will have to do the EFR course, too.

Next you can make your way down to Koh Lanta and head out to dive Hin Daeng/Hin Muang if it is looking good at that time (there's been some mysterious soft coral damage recently, and the soft coral is the calling card for those sites). You can pick up another specialty that interests you, too.

Then you could keep moving south towards Satun to reach Koh Lipe, among the least developed dive destinations in Thailand. If you get down there in October, the ferries should just be starting back up again from Pak Bara (service shuts down from May to October). This is beach hut + little boat diving, and can be nice for a change of pace. Finish off your last specialty here. By now you should have the 50 required dives for the MSD cert, so it's just a matter of mailing in the paperwork.

have fun in thailand. i lived there for awhile a few years back. mainly on koh tao. worked as a dm at coral grand. koh tao is nothing more than a factory island with a dive shop every 10 ft. very laid back and very fun. if diving is your main focus preferably i would avoid the whole east coast and head to the similian side. maybe spend like 2-3 weeks checking out samui, and tao. but the diving there is just average there is so much better on the west coast. but youll be there at the wrong time of the year for the west coast. so it all depends on the weather and if the monsoons hold out. definately get to koh phi phi. best island in thailand i think. definately dive muang and daeng, and the similians. if money is not a real concern try getting up north to the burma banks on a long liveaboard. but then again ur time of the year is questionable. if you want a real amazing diving experience post pone ur trip and leave in oct instead of june. and do the majority of ur masters on the west coast throughout the winter. just my 2 cents. but bst of luck to you and enjoy thailand it is an experience that will last forever.

Ban's is a good bet on Koh Tao - very experienced Course Director and Instructors. The Dm course is well set out there too - you get to assist many different instructors and see how different people teach the same course differently.

Yeh Crystal Dive is also got a very good set up, and extremely standards orientated. Experienced Course Director and some really good Instructors there too. I didn't do DMT but did IDC & MSDT and spent around 6 months there picking up some teaching work afterwards. I've since worked in several areas in the west of Thailand as well as Indo, Vietnam & now Mozambique and although i've worked at other good places too i've yet to find a place that comes close to Crystal in terms of education!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom