Moving to Savannah

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mahhz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Are there any good diving spots around the Savannah, GA area? Even in the ocean would be good. I've done all my diving in Oklahoma and North Texas, so anything over 10' of visability is excellent! I'll also be bringing my cuddy cabin boat with me, so I should have decent mobility to different sites near the coast.

Any tips and info would be greatly appreciated!

You have the Gulf and the Atlantic within less than a days drive - not to mention the springs in FL. GA has several divable lakes I believe as well.

Mahhz,
Savannah is a fantastic town, especially if you like to eat. And Tybee Island can be a load of fun.

There are a couple of wrecks off the Savannah/Hilton Head coast. Check in with Andrea on this site to get coordinates.

The Kraken:
Mahhz,
Savannah is a fantastic town, especially if you like to eat. And Tybee Island can be a load of fun.

There are a couple of wrecks off the Savannah/Hilton Head coast. Check in with Andrea on this site to get coordinates.

Yeah! The wrecks are what I want to find! I also found a website of some local Savannah divers I might sign up for. I'm going to try and meet as many people as possible when I move there, since I don't know anyone!

I have to start out easy though, last time I dove, it was in a quarry in Texas, and I developed a severe reverse upper sinus squeeze which caused a perforated eardrum, so I'd like to find some shallow freshwater locations with some good divers to start out with again.

Mahhz:
Yeah! The wrecks are what I want to find! I also found a website of some local Savannah divers I might sign up for. I'm going to try and meet as many people as possible when I move there, since I don't know anyone!

I have to start out easy though, last time I dove, it was in a quarry in Texas, and I developed a severe reverse upper sinus squeeze which caused a perforated eardrum, so I'd like to find some shallow freshwater locations with some good divers to start out with again.

While it's not in Georgia, one freshwater area that alot of locals are fond of is Ginnie Springs in Florida. There are several caves, about 7 springs, and one cavern that is rated "safe" for OW divers. The water is clearerthan anything you've ever dove in I'm willing to bet. It's not alot of fun for divers who have the whole, been there doen that mentallity, or who dive Bonaire every other month, but during the cold winter months, its enough to keep the diving bug alive and well.

As far as taking it easy, depths range from a couple of feet to a depth of 45 in Ginnie Cavern itself. So it's kind of a dive-at-your-own-pace place. Good luck, and welcome to the area. By the way, the Florida Conch Divers, a sister group of the Deep Dixie Divers, is holding a Mega Party during may 13-15th. Camping, Diving, and the like. Might wanna look up the megadive link in the conch divers section.

Hey, this is Andrea, we have a crazy bunch out of Savannah and surrounding areas that dive all year around. Our site for info is www.savannahscuba.net We don't have coordinates on the site, but can easily be obtained.

Welcome to Savannah! This is a great place.

A.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom