Moving to Maui for 9 months

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Winch

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi. I am a travel nurse and will be in Maui from December to most likely August I would love to find a dive buddy that lives in Maui and any ideas on a good shop to work my divemaster and instructor certifications. I will be working 3 nights a week so I will have lots of play time.

Go talk to the folks at B&B and Maui Dreams about DM and IDC. You absolutely won't go wrong with either one of them! Congrats on your move to Maui!

Thanks for the info. So I know from the dive shop I hooked up with in az when I was working on my advanced and rescue. I could go dive with them whenever they were out at the lake and just paid for tanks. That common in Maui as well or will I have to pay the money they advertise for dives.

Ask about Kama'aina rates (locals) if you have a Maui address on something. I think Maui Dive Shop offers 20% off on rentals - not much but it helps. They also sell fill cards.

Unfortunately I think that'll be something you'll have to ask. I have a couple of local friends who while doing their DM were diving from the boat for free, but those are long time locals who had personal relationships with the owner and crew prior to their DM work. It was all "space available" at the last minute if the boat wasn't full, but still no cost.

We often hook up with folks to shore dive when we're on island, and although we're excellent critter spotters, my husband is an UW photographer and we go very slowwwww because of it. Drives some divers crazy who want to move faster than us.

I will be back in Maui Dec 1st thru 9th, I do not live there (but want to move there) but have done alot of shore and boat dives there. I will be looking for someone to dive with for a few days for sure. If you are interested let me know.

Steve. I don't get to Hawaii until the 7th but would love to hit the water that weekend if you don't have anyone else I will know in a few weeks where they will be putting me up

I am so jealous! Good for you for landing this duty station. Frankly, Maui may be about the best place on earth. The diving is good, programs plentiful. There is a course director on the island name Bill Hannan who is great for professional certification training. Look him up. Or ask in any dive shop. He is known.
DivemasterDennis

Ken, we'll be on island at the end of December for a couple of weeks and plan to do some shore diving. Let's keep in touch and see if we can put something together.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom