moving to FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knight1989

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I just got orders to move to Eglin AFB, FL in Aug. Very good for me since I cant dive like I would like to up here. I'm curious though as to what dive sites/wrecks are in the area of Pensacola, Ft Walton Beech, etc...?

I'm really excited to get down there and start diving as much as possable.

Pic up Ned DeLoache's book "Diving Guide to Underwater Florida"( www.amazon.com ), it'll get you started with several of the sites inshore/offshore Pensacola, Destin, and Panama City. There are also several shore dives available, mostly consisting of jettie dives and old piers - but there are a few shipwrecks off of Ft. Pickens(Pensacola). It'll also go into the many springs available in the panhandle - don't count them out, they are some of the most beautiful.

Shoot me a line when you get out this way, I dive FL's panhandle's salt and freshwater sites quite a bit. I live just on the other side of the AL line, not too far away from most of it.

Got a couple of Navy buds that dive with me from NAS Pensacola - might as well get a couple of Eglin people into the mix. There is ALOT to dive, no matter if you want offshore, inshore, beach, or springs.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Pic up Ned DeLoache's book "Diving Guide to Underwater Florida"( www.amazon.com ), it'll get you started with several of the sites inshore/offshore Pensacola, Destin, and Panama City. There are also several shore dives available, mostly consisting of jettie dives and old piers - but there are a few shipwrecks off of Ft. Pickens(Pensacola). It'll also go into the many springs available in the panhandle - don't count them out, they are some of the most beautiful.

Shoot me a line when you get out this way, I dive FL's panhandle's salt and freshwater sites quite a bit. I live just on the other side of the AL line, not too far away from most of it.

Got a couple of Navy buds that dive with me from NAS Pensacola - might as well get a couple of Eglin people into the mix. There is ALOT to dive, no matter if you want offshore, inshore, beach, or springs.

At this point I'm game for diving just about anything. I hoping for some good shore dive locations so I can just head there anytime I want and maybe do some solo diving as well as dive with other people. Plus boats get expensive and I want to dive at least once a week.

Eventually, you'll have the Oriskany as well

Knight1989:
Plus boats get expensive and I want to dive at least once a week.

I understand that totally. I may do 6-8 boat dives a year, on a good year. I do shore or spring dives atleast once a week though :)

ReefGuy:
Eventually, you'll have the Oriskany as well

I totally forgot they were putting that in that area. I was upset since i thought I would never get to dive it, now I'm really excited. That was a dive I was really wanting to do.

Whats the vizability and water temp like in the area there?

Visibility varies as much as the weather. Off the beach, 5-20' on average, but it can exceed 50' at times. Offshore can have 200+' of visibility, averages around 40-60' by my experience. Temps can drop into the high 50sF in January and February. Upper 80s and low 90sF towards the end of summer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom