Moved the last of the furniture in...!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
:cheering:

A lot of family antiques have been in storage since dad died 3 years ago. At the time, I didn't want any of it 'cuz of the old farm house I lived in - battling to keep wildlife out, so it sit there. If we'd foreseen how long we would leave it, or the damage possible, we could have opted for Climate Controlled storage, but at the time - we had just buried our last parent. Lots of things on our minds. Even posted a thread about that time here back then.

I went out the storage shed last month to help my niece get a piece out that was promised to her and saw some severe heat damage on some - so I riled up the siblings. We've been retrieving and spliting things over weeks. Sent a few things away with my daughter, split some with my bro & sis, brought mine to my 2 car garage, but even tho I only have 1 vehicle, I still feel strongly about garages being for cars, not fire trap storage.

Been sanding the bad spots, oiling, polishing, in stages - all the old stuff from the shed plus a couple of pieces I've used for decades with severe glass rings. Some stuff has been in the family over 10 years, some over 100. I've been taking pics and getting info from my sis on where things came from and trying to record them. Only things in a way, but family things - along with some afghans hand made by my grandmom, some pics of ancestors, little items dad brought home from Japan after WWII, etc. A few bring back fond childhood memories. I guess all families have crazy streaks, and mine is exceptional in that area, but all in all - my childhood was nice enough to be remembered mostly fondly.

I just started ending the tung oil & polish stages last weekend, with my daughter & soninlaw down to help a bit. I thought I'd start moving stuff in Monday night, but woke up to a wet shoulder that morning. Had to call into the office interrupted and spend the day draining a leaky waterbed, soaking up water from the carpet as the liner had failed, too, ordering replacement parts from California, and all. The bag & liner were over 10 yrs old when I moved them last year - which is when damage usually happens to waterbeds, and I should have replaced them then, but oh well.

I did get the old family bed moved into the guest room and set up so I could sleep on something better than my cheap couch, and I got my bedroom pretty well cleaned out. After several soaking up water with dry towels, washing & drying, repeating several times, I got the carpet down to moist, and left fans blowing on the wet spot. Tuesday was complicated by a new stomach bug passing thru the area, but that was but a one day irritation. Sprayed carpet cleaner yesterday on the dirt residue that came up from the mat below, let it dry and vacuumed. Looks good - which is no small feat for this domestically challenged bachelor. :D

Caught my new next door neighbor/lawn guy out in his backyard yesterday evening and enlisted him to help move the pieces in. Probably didn't tip him enough, but he seemed happy. I thought I had a house almost full before I moved the 1 car garage equivalent in, and I was really concerned about over filling the guest room, but it all seemed to fit okay. Such a feeling of accomplishment.

The new bag & liner will arrive today (been tracking it closely on UPS!) so I can start refilling my bed. Just hasn't been the same sleeping across the hall, even though the newer mattress is a good one, and my waterbed sheets adapted to the standard mat okay. Got new standard sheets & pad awaiting there turn at the washing macine. Still got more positioning to do, a huge mirror to hang, a large portrait to hang (see below), vacuum & dusting to do, but I can see the project end in the distance.

No one has expressed a desire in the family couch yet. Fine craftsmanship, been reworked several times over the years, 50+ yr old wood that is rock hard with age. I may have to give up my cute little Wal-mart couch and adopt it?

No one else seemed at all interested in the booby picture mom once hung in her formal living room with some very nice furniture pieces my sis took, so I guess it will work better in my bedroom than my living room, guest room, or scuba gear & hat room? I'll try it there anyway.

43630017.jpg

Gawd, but things are starting to seem settled. :banana:

Back
Top Bottom