mouth ulcers-no jokes please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"the elderly can get "shingles" which is the recurrence of dormant chicken pox virus."

uh, not quite. Shingles shows up in middle age. I know a number of folks who got it in their 40's (one in his 30s).

Well,
I'm not a Doc. so I can't comment on medical issues. I do know that I borrowed a friends regulator setup one time and the next day I had several sores in my mouth. I seldom if ever have cold sores or fever blisters. What caused it? I don't know. I do think that when borrowing regs one should clean the mouthpiece with alcohol, peroxide or something. This from experience. :tree:Bob

Maybe the mouthpiece doesn't fit right and is rubbing your gums and inner mouth the wrong way. I have purchased a juvenile-sized mouthpiece which fits me *much* better, and doesn't dig into my gums. The only two dive shops I've used so far had no problems with replacing the 'rental' mouthpiece with my own, but I usually bring my own zip-ties (& wire cutter pliers) along in case they don't have any on hand.

Good luck in resolving your problem!

KoralKat

If you continually rent your reg from an LDS, I would consider purchasing your own mouthpiece. This serves 2 purposes, one continual use will cause it to conform to your mouth/tooth structure and be more fitting; two it is much more sanitary. the few dive shops I have rented from do not rent regs with mouthpieces anymore due to Health Laws, so you have to have your own mouthpiece. 15 bucks is cheap compared to a potential health hazard.

Get your own regulator as soon as you can.......
........ and nip into your local Boots the Chemists and ask for some Bongela!
It's best to put it on Dry gums.
If the ulcers form, consult the Doc but I have heard that Ambasol (Ambesol?) soothes the pain, while you take a break from sticking rubber things in your mouth!

Keep smiling!

Aquamore

First off, you need to look at when you get these mouth ulcers and where they are located. If you only get them after using a particular regulator and only after diving then the problem is easy! However if you get them all the time then it comes down to where in your mouth they arise. If they are on loose tissue and occure frequently then they could be a warning sign of a more serious problem and you should see your dentist and family physician. If they only occure every year or so I would not be concerned. If they occure on immobile tissue, like that found on the roof of your mouth then there is a slight chance it could be viral in nature and could be set off by the conditions present in the diving environment. Once again you should see your dentist and or family physician. However if only after use of a certain mouthpiece then probably you should change that or alter it with heat, unattatched of course, cool it to change the shape so it no longer rubs that part of your mouth. You can trim any mouthpiece and smooth the trimmed portion with a small flame from a lighter for instance then chill it in ice water until it is comfortable in your mouth. Just my oppinion.

:D My mouth at the start of a dive.
:eek:ut: My mouth after even 15 minutes in the pool.

I find I want to take my reg out and lick my mouth
and inner lips after some diving (before putting the
reg back in obviously) and I wonder if the reg could
cause more discomfort over a longer time. Can
anyone advise me?

What I'd like to do when I do long dives eventually,
is be able to make an air pocket, somehow, and be
able to take a few minutes 'time out' to relax my mouth,
but obviously keeping my reg handy.
I can't suggest this to my instructors as they go mad
when I suggest anything dangerous, like going to
Stoney Cove and doing some actual diving in the
winter, but I've heard of dives that last 8 hours and
something like this would help.

As far as infection, if your reg is rented and if it could
give you an infection from the previous user, after
perhaps days on the shelf and being rinsed... how
do people practice buddy breathing??? I don't think
the mouth is that vulnerable, we all have bacteria
in our mouths all the time, even after brushing, and
our immune systems are in a high alert in the mouth.

I would ask instead, maybe you are sensitive to
whatever is in the water? I would still buy my own
reg (I did in fact) but places like Robin Hood sell mouth
pieces also.

If the ulcers are like a rash, perhaps you have sensitive
skin. If they are like cold sores, they can be brought on
by anything, even sunshine, so being underwater might
be it.

Corum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom