Mounting Dive Computer on Camera Tray?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pearlman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I have a very bulky Hollis DG03 with Air Integration and a Wireless Transmitter. I really love to come back from a dive vacation and assess my air consumption over the many dives using the line plot graph in dive software. Currently stuck for want of choices of newer DC models with AI (I love the form factor of the Peregrine but it’s without AI).

The DC dial is HUGE and bulky on my thin wrists so I am thinking I will mount it with a bungee mount and loop on my camera tray. I always dive with my camera gear and don’t think I will ever without it. The tray is normally secured to my BC s D-Ring using a standard extendable clip.

So are there any risks and safety concerns around having your DC not directly mounted on your body? The effort for reading the DC would be the same as one for a hose computer I think…

Feedback and opinions invited.

Thanks

I have a backup Suunto strapped to one of my float strobe arms and use it on gauge mode.

This gives me an option of checking my depth without looking at my wrist mounted computers.

Yeah but I’m asking about putting my one and only primary DC there… until I get a new one at least…

Now that you say it, I think I recall seeing someone do that with the backup and I agree it’s a good spot for a backup.

I'd rather have the primary on my body, but I'm not aware of any specific rules regarding this point. As long as you dive with the camera housing you should be recording everything and of course it has to be in a readable position.

Just an opinion here. If you are diving no deco and the loss of the computer would not hinder a safe end of the dive, I don’t see a problem with it. Personally, I have seen enough gear, including cameras, lost or left on the boat accidentally to prefer having the computer attached to me rather than other gear. If I had to hop in the water fora practical, non-recreational reason, I wouldn’t want it on my camera.

I sometimes strap my primary computer to a float arm, putting it in front of my face without changing camera or body position. The obvious risk is dropping the camera, e.g. if I have or another diver has an emergency. I once saw a photographer leave a boat with two SLR rigs, head off on his own, and come back late with no cameras and in obvious distress. the crew found the cameras, but if his computer had been on one of them it would have been useless for helping assess his condition.

I sometimes strap my primary computer to a float arm, putting it in front of my face without changing camera or body position. The obvious risk is dropping the camera, e.g. if I have or another diver has an emergency. I once saw a photographer leave a boat with two SLR rigs, head off on his own, and come back late with no cameras and in obvious distress. the crew found the cameras, but if his computer had been on one of them it would have been useless for helping assess his condition.
Very good point! Until I read your post I assumed I would be in control at all times. But a medical emergency like you listed that can leave a diver partially disabled either physically or disoriented with lowered mental faculties can lead to such a situation.

Ok the DC stays on my wrist then. I was afraid this would be a silly question to ask before I asked, but now I learned something!
Thanks!

I got this adapter, called Soekoa Bike Watch Mount from Amazon for $8 to mount my SUUNTO Ambit3 on my road bike handle

77F7B967-5FC2-4A1A-86D6-147FA51BA7CF.jpeg
9A9202B7-4E77-499B-BDD2-E369C6CA4FAB.jpeg
4B68838D-D601-4908-B161-F61A72EBD83D.jpeg

As for myself, I wear 2 dive computers (DC), one on each wrist. Shearwater Teric on my right wrist. SUUNTO D4 as a backup DC on my left wrist.

Having backup DC is good in case something happen to one of them (strap break, battery dead, flooded, etc.). The probability of both DC break on the same dive is very slim.

Having on both wrists are also very handy. If one hand is inaccessible (holding camera, DSMB spool, power inflator, etc.), I can see the other DC from the other free or more assessable hand.

For what it is worth, I do not see a problem with mouting the computer to your camera. An expensive camera such as you describe is not likely to be parted with. But, I wear both of my computers on my left arm and a watch and on my right a compass. It works well and no need to clutter up my camera which is cluttered enough already. I do not know for you but I am not likely to be parted with my camera.

James

Back
Top Bottom