Mounting an Argon bottle & DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guerosd

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I apologize if this has been discussed somewhere already but a search for DIR and Argon turns up 100s of messages to sift through...

Is there a single DIR way to mount your Argon bottle? I know Halcyon makes a strap to mount to your back gas tank(s), but I've also seen several DIR divers with the Argon somehow mounted to the Backplate. Is there a best practice here? (I knew I was going to forget to ask stuff in my DIRF class)

Also is a 13cuft to big? There is an article in DIR-Quest that says 13 is a better size but I always see 6's in the real world.

guerosd once bubbled...
Ok, I apologize if this has been discussed somewhere already but a search for DIR and Argon turns up 100s of messages to sift through...
You're too lazy to search the threads and I'm too lazy to post it all again...

let's compromise... read this thread and then if you still have questions come back here and I'll answer them

Check out the thread:

"Argon Setup for Drysuit...."

Tbe thread has excellent commentary and is complete with pics for a nice method to mount an argon cylinder to your backplate -- 2" webbing in one hole (sized to allow the cyl to slip in), and bungie in another, lower one (to capture the valve and make it stay put).

I set mine up this way last weekend with a 13 cu ft bottle and it works great. Very secure and streamlined.

I previously used a method that is not recommended with quick links and metal to metal contacts. Apart from the latter, the cylinder moves a lot and I did some major chafing to my drysuit as a result.

I like a 13 because I can prepurge and get in the 5 dives I sometimes do in one day/night boat trip with one cylinder. Your mileage may vary.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
then if you still have questions come back here and I'll answer them
I apologize for my post... I put it out in a rush and coming back later and reading it was taken aback at how arrogant and rude it came across... in my haste I missed adding all the smilies... but even so it still wasn't a proper response to your question.

So Pug,
Why is a pony an entanglement hazard, but the argon bottle isn't. Hmmm. :)
Neil

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

was taken aback at how arrogant and rude it came across... .

I assume all is sarcasim unless given evidence otherwise :wink: Although I must admit that I'm kinda glad I'm so lazy.... I got a ton of great info (multiple threads) condensed in to one easy to read volume on DIR configs for Argon bottles.

I'm lazy but productive :tease:

Back
Top Bottom