Mounting a motor on a kayak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tripledive

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all. Ok, I know this is kayak diving cheating but has anyone tried mounting a small outboard to a Cobra fishndive or similar kayak? I notice they sell mounting kits for an electric trolling motor but it looks like it takes up the majority of the space where you would put your scuba rig. Just wondering if anyone has had any success w/being a bit creative using this as a motorized dive "vessel." Live in Naples and unfortunately most of the decent artificial reefs are a few miles out. A bit much for a paddle considering visibility might be hit or miss.

Thanks!!!

Not sure about Florida, but if I recall correctly here in Texas anytime you put a motor on a vessel, it must be registered. I ran into this issue wanting to put a trolling motor on a canoe.

Be sure to check your local regulations regarding this, just in case.

I notice they sell mounting kits for an electric trolling motor

They make motors for trolling?

Damn that would things a lot easier for me.

Are you solo diving? Otherwise your buddy is going to have to paddle. No I am not harping on solo diving. Best thing to do is get a power boat, or even better get a friend with a power boat. You could also get a kayak that is pedal power like the Hobie Mirage drives. Of course they cost more than I paid for my boat. Or just suck it up and paddle...

I want to put one on my kayak. In florida it has to be registered. I looked all over and couldn't find my bill of sale. Kind of put a hold on that project.

I saw a nice set up using a milk crate. The battery was in the milk crate and a two by four bolted to it to hold the motor.

I saw a nice set up using a milk crate. The battery was in the milk crate and a two by four bolted to it to hold the motor.

That sounds very safe.

Bring an extra oar.

If it's too far to paddle a kayak, you might want to rethink it. Sooner or later you'll have to paddle back. I would work on extending my paddle range or buy a boat with a motor. There are also sails for kayaks that would be a better solution.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom