Mounting a GoPro on a canister light/goodman handle setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fins

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I'm thinking about purchasing a GoPro. A few weeks ago I was in Curacao diving at Porto Mari and I saw a gal that had a GoPro mounted to her canister light. At the time I was a bit busy and didn't get a good look at the setup or take the time to ask her about it but i really like the idea of this type of setup (although I imagine that there might be some issues with back scatter or a wide enough light beam to cover the entire image).

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you might have pics showing a GoPro mounted either to a canister light head or to a goodman handle along with the canister light head.

Thanks for your help

I can tell you from experience that, at least where I dove it this way (fresh water lake, low viz, lots of sediment/silt), it's not so good. My post in this thread (#8) has links to vids I uploaded with mine mounted like that. I think the beam is too bright and too tight.

Not sure I have a pic anymore, but I used the roll bar mount to affix it to my light head (Dive Rite LED can light).

Found it... here's the photo.

Attachments

• light-mount-try1.jpg
    light-mount-try1.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 1,112
Depending on where you dive, it can work. Backscatter is a big problem though. I dive with two mounted to Goodman handles that my video lights run on. It works great for some footage in very clear water. I don't use it every time, but at times it works just fine. I will try to take some pictures of my setups later for you.

Guys, thanks for your help

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom