Motormarine II W/YS-50 Strobe ??

Motormarine II W/YS-50 strobe a good beginners camera?

• Too complicated

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, very easy to operate

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Yes, but will take some time

Votes: 7 87.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aardal

Contributor
Reaction score
Is the Sea & Sea Motormarine II W/YS-50 strobe a good camera to start taking underwater pictures with?

My wife is very interested in taking underwater pictures but she doesn't want something as complicated as Nikonos V set-up. She is a advanced open water diver, so she is pretty confident in her scuba skills.

Aardal once bubbled...
Is the Sea & Sea Motormarine II W/YS-50 strobe a good camera to start taking underwater pictures with?

My wife is very interested in taking underwater pictures but she doesn't want something as complicated as Nikonos V set-up. She is a advanced open water diver, so she is pretty confident in her scuba skills.

With a basic knowledge of f/stops and shutter speeds, the MMII is a good camera to start with. It has a fixed focus lens so she'll need to learn sprecisely where her focus range is. A 2T macro lens as well as a 20mm wide angle lens will give her the full range to photography anything she'll see....small to large!

It's a good system to build on and can last her for years.

I've been shooting the Motormarine II with a single YS-50TTL strobe for about 11 years, with excellent results. I have the 16MM wide, and 1:2 and 1:3 macro conversion lenses. It is a simple camera, limited in some ways (like any piece of equipment) but has good optics and produces superb results if you know those limitations.

I had only been using the Motormarine II a couple of years when one of my photographs, a 1:2 macro shot of coral spawning, was first published. It appeared in the June 1994 issue of Scuba Times, in an article written by Marty Snyderman, who I'd met on a research trip to the Flower Gardens. He fell in love with the photograph, and since he was on assignment for National Geographic shooting movie film only, he needed a still photo for his article, and wanted mine.

You can see it and other photographs on my photo page.

Prior to owning the Motormarine II, I had no serious photographic experience either above or below water. I found the camera easy to learn, and through practice and recording what I did, my results improved rapidly.

Aardal once bubbled...

I own both, The MMII EX is no "easier" to use than the NickV

Both have the same controls. The Nikonos Vs controls are better made and easier to adjust underwater. Here is a series of old posts on this subject sorry if it's a little disjointed but I cut and pasted from several old posts:

(MMII Vs Nikonos)

This of course depends on how serious you want to get about your pictures. Are you diving to take pictures, or are you taking pictures while you dive? If you diving to take pictures having a camera that you can change lens U/W isn't a big deal. You more than likely plan to take a specific type of photo (wide, macro, etc.) and plan the dive to accommodate. This allows you to concentrate on specific equipment setup, configuration, and operation, for a specific goal. For this purpose the Nikonos is a much better camera, it offers higher quality, and flexibility of set up. Plus there are more quality accessories available for the Nikonos than any other U/W system.
If on the other hand your main purpose is to dive, and try to get some good photos while you are at it, then the MM II is a very good choice. As others have stated you can change lens U/W. There is a loss of quality, for this (U/W) flexibility. Yes you can take some fantastic pictures with this camera, but the overall quality and versatility is not as good as the Nikonos. The price however is a less than the Nikonos (but not 1/3 the price). This is based on a firsthand comparison, as I own both cameras. I will say this, I know quite a few divers that have moved up from a Motormarine to a Nikonos (Myself included), I don?t know anyone that has gone from a Nikonos to a Motormarine. They both have about the same number of o-rings; the MMII has fewer "user" acccessable o-rings. Every opening into the case has an o-ring or seal. This includes the battery compartment, primary lens (whether it's removable or not), rewind lever, strobe port, aperture knob, focus knob (the aperture and focus are on the lens and not through the case on the Nikonos), shutter release, and anything else that goes through the body or case. In fact the way I count them there are more case seals in the MMII Ex than the Nikonos. All these o-rings or seals need to be checked on a routine basis. If they are not user accessible, than it must be done by a qualified repair shop. Note: I have had two MMIIs both have been flooded once. I have 1 Nikonos V, more dives on the Nikonos, never been flooded. The Nikonos requires no more maintenance than the Motormarine. If your not spending the same amount of time on you MMII than you would with a Nikonos your asking for it. In fact after flooding two MMIIs I spend more time inspecting the MMIIs than I do the Nikonos.

Bottom line, the Nik V is a much better camera (than the MM) in all areas. Optical quality (the most important aspect) being far superior to the MM. Will the MM take good pictures? Yes But all thing being equal, can it take as good a picture as the Nik V? No.
I have stated this before, there are those that can take a good picture with a rock, while others can only get mediocre pic's with the most expensive equipment available. All things being equal though, you'll get better quality photos with better quality equipment. And the Nik V is a better quality camera than the MMII EX

Nik Vs hold their value, kinda like Harleys. Also as stated above, if you don't know how to take good pictures, you'll take lousy pictures with a great camera. Many people buy expensive cameras (not just underwater) and find they still take lousy pictures. They expect the equipment to overcome their inadequacies, (they don't know *how* to take a good picture), they get discouraged and sell them. I have seen this many times. Whatever camera you are using, a point and shoot or a housed system. Learn and practice some basic UW photography techniques (there are plenty of books and web sites dedicated to UW photo), learn your camera, and shoot some film.

The MMII?s 35mm primary optics (non removable) is a toy in comparison to any of the Nik V lenses. If you have ever seen the actual insides of the MMII I think you would agree. I?m not saying the MMII can't take good pic's; I too have some favorite pictures that were taken with the MMII. But all things being equal, the MMII cannot take as good a photo as the Nik V. There is nothing that the MMII will do better than the Nik V, with the exception of having the ability to change lenses underwater. But this also is not that big of a deal. I can't remember the last time I changed any MMII lens under water. And since you are interested in doing close up or macro, you can get the Nikons close up kit (that can be installed or removed underwater), or a set of extension tubes. Both the close up kit and the extension tube set produce much better results than the add on lens system of the MMII. Also if Macro is your game, extension tubes can get you to 1:1 and greater, the MMII will only go down to 1:2. A good extension tube set can be had for about $150, and normally includes tubes and framers for 1:3, 1:2 and 1:1, some go down to 2:1. I have posted similar responses to this or similar questions in the past. I always get a lot of responses defending the MMII. It is not my intension to blast the MMII. It is my opinion though, that the Nick V is a much better camera. It offers MUCH better quality, flexibility and expandability. I have stated this before; I know many people that have moved up form a MMII to a Nikonos V, I don't know anyone that has gone from a Nikonos to a MMII. To add, I know several Nikonos V users that have moved up to housed systems (Myself included), not one of them has gotten rid of their NikV. If you have any questions, feel free to post or e-mail me.
As always, this is just my opinion.

PS. All that being said, (and I?m going to choke on this), have you considered a good Digital? ;-}

Rooster once bubbled...
...PS. All that being said, (and I?m going to choke on this), have you considered a good Digital? ;-}

Would you like some water to wash that down with? :)

Do you think that the difference in optic quality in photos taken with Nik V's and MMII are visible to the naked eye?

To the regular diver who wants to take good photos while they are there, may only print as large as 8x10's for their wall, is that difference worth the extra expense of the Nik V?

I used a MMIIex for years and used a friends Nik V for a few months. I agree they are both easy to use, just a tad different. But I honestly couldn't tell the difference in the photos and couldn't tell which camera took which photos.

I just had my first experiance with taking underwater pics (should say pics anywhere including land) and my new MMII-ex and YS60 strobe. I don't have any knowledge of cameras or takeing pics. I found that the MMIEX seamed easy to use but I have now learned that I need much more practice in judgeing distance let alone all the fstop/shutter speed stuff. I had several pics (I took six rolls and got about 6 clear in focus well lit pics) that could have been ok but were out of focus. Of the few pics that I did get in focus with good light I have to say that they were better than any camera I had tried before (rental point and shoot or throw away). I bought my MMII-EX from LP new in box for $650 W/strobe.

Geek

Geek...one of the best things you can do is get in a pool with your camera. When I started, I took a yard stick and practiced judging that magic 3ft distance. It's critical, as you learned, with a fixed focus lens to be able to judge distances underwater accurately.

The MMII is a great camera, but it takes lots of practice to focus accurately.

Dee,

Thanks for the tip I'll have to try it. My only regret is that I didn't get any pics of the realy cool stuff but I'm going to keep at it hopefully someday I'll get better. I did get some hazy pics of dolphins and almost had a good shot of a crab but alas none of my pics with turtles came out. Hopefully the weather will warm up soon and I can practice at some of the local watering holes.

Geek

Been there, done that, got all the T-shirts!

Sure you don't want to go digital? I can help ya with that! :D

Aardal...I'm sure some are just waiting for me to say this but and I've really tried to resist but....If you haven't already bought the MMII, have you considered digital?

• Low learning curve, excellent for beginners
  • No fixed focus
  • Additional lenses available
  • Instant feedback
  • No film or processing expense
  • Prices comparable to film u/w cameras

Just a thought!

Back
Top Bottom