Motorcycle tour of the UK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

socaldiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Besides diving I have 2 other interests, golf and motorcycle riding. I have always wanted to just cruise around checking out the sights. I have pretty much decided I want to the UK, but I want to do it by riding a motorcycle (preferably my own if I can get it air freighted there at a reasonable cost).

I am looking for suggestions, recommendations and personal experiences you may have encountered.

Here are my thoughts:

Fly into Heathrow, pick up my cycle. If I can't use my own then I will need to hire one from someone there. Any recommendations? I plan on riding for 2 to 3 weeks.

The first part of the journey I will make my way to the northern region of Wales. I will be trying to stay there for a few days, hopefully staying in a farm cottage for hire. That will be my base to sight see the different towns and villages.

The second leg will be to venture to south Wales.

After sightseeing south Wales I hope to take a ferry over to Ireland, hopefully somewhere around Cork (I have distant relatives that live there).

Next we will be traveling back to London to take in the sights.

Time permitting we will then cruise up to Scotland.

We are wanting to see ancient ruins, castles, palaces, as well as other sights such as Stonehenge, windmills and just natural scenery in the small villages.

I am hoping to do this as economical as I can so that we can extend the trip as long as necessary to take in everything.

Not sure what your original budget would be for such a trip so these are only guidelines based on my own experience's of travel within the UK - mostly on four wheels i might add.

First off the trip from London Heathrow to North Wales is roughly 134 miles but given London's typical congestion routes it could take you a while longer to reach the Motorway from Heathrow (M25 M1 North) - Satnav is a godsend here if you have it. If it seems more of a impracticality to get your wheels over to the UK there are a number of rental shops nearby the airport.. These guy's will drop off and pick up if you need to rent AdMo-Tours Just one of many out there.

I spent a lot of my childhood in North and South Wales, while the North is more of the holiday attraction with its old seafront hotels, piers and arcades the South still remains the more scenic. If your heading North, carry on pass the likes of Towyn and head out to Conwy and Bangor across the Menai straights to Anglesey. Here also you can grab the ferry out of Holyhead to Dublin also if your visiting Ireland next.

Conway famous for its castle Conwy and you also have Caernarfon another more recent castle nearby. Something on Anglesey and the South South Wales Attractions

Not sure why you would want to head back South to London then up to Scotland after visiting Ireland.

Geographically speaking and time saving i would take in Wales, Ireland then Scotland or vice versa on the last two then head back down South to London.

If you get time also try and take in the Lake District National Park - beautiful countryside and nice open roads for biking.

Hope this helped out in some way - pm me if i can help further

Timoblue I appreciate your input.

Alot of what you stated were things that I had been researching. I saw Admo and that is an option for hiring a cycle.

My plans are to go to south Ireland, I was not expecting to go to Dublin but nothing is definite at this time.

I might add that this trip is probably not going to be until August, 2010.

Thank you again for your info it is very helpful.

Are you going to include the Isle Of Man on your trip? What kind of Bike do you ride?
I have a similar type of trip on my life to do list, maybe start in Irland and end up in Greece. but it will be a few years down the road unless I hit the lottory or something.

I have a 2006 Honda Shadow 750 Spirit.

I presently only plan on doing Ireland, Wales, England and hopefully Scotland.

Augk,

I also was looking at Greece. As a matter of fact, I got this hairbrain idea surfing the net and came across a "guided" tour that starts in Germany, goes through Austria, Switzerland and Italy. That got me to looking into expanding to other Countries. I'm not sure if the wife will be able to handle all the riding so I decidedon doing the UK first and see how she likes it.

If you rent a Harley Road King it is around $700 a week, there are less expensive bikes you can hire but if you are plannng on doing some riding IMHO you wouldbe better off with something a little heavier to hold the road.

I found a website that you can stay at countryside cottages, at least in Wales, and they are about $50 a night. I am guesstimating that for a 3 week adventure which is everything (including the cycle) but airfare I am lookng at around $6k. I am in the early stages and still have a lot of research to do so the price could get higher.

There are 2 sayings that I have adopted and totally agree with:

Life's too short, so don't wait.

He who hesitates is lost.

How many people look back on their lives and say shouldah, couldah, wouldah.

First off the trip from London Heathrow to North Wales is roughly 134 miles but given London's typical congestion routes it could take you a while longer to reach the Motorway from Heathrow (M25 M1 North)

This is not the way to Wales - the M1 goes to the north-east. You barely need to touch the horrible M25, just enough to take you up to the M40 junction, which will push up towards Birmingham (close to The Belfry), where you pick up the M6 heading over towards the north west.

Don't forget to get your bike converted to drive on the 'right' side of the road !! :D

That trip sounds awesome! I have always wanted to take a cross country trip, but I would need some sort of follow vehicle I think. Theres no way I would be able to fit any kind of gear on my bike.

I appreciate the feedback. I was on Google Earth and checking the "road map" they are showing. There are a few roads that seem to go in the direction of Northern Wales - A4, A40, M1, M42 to name a few.

I suppose when we get closer to finalizing where and when I will research the routes more. For now, I am just trying to decipher landmarks that are a must and the others that we would love to see.

I came across some awesome sites that list and show campsites, so we might even entertain takinga lightweight 2 person tent and ultralight sleeping bags that are very compact.

It is exciting to do all this research and if it comes to fruition I hope it won't be a let down.

Mike: like you I have always wanted to cruise across our Country on a motorcycle. I have crisscrossed so many times and we have a beautiful Country to explore as well. There is so much history in the UK and the rest of the world though that I want to just get out and explore while I can. As far as packing, we will be taking a backpack each, so we will be traveling very light. The cycles have saddlebags as well.

Back
Top Bottom