Mosquitos in N. Sulawesi in April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

el bagero

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, All,

Considering a trip to north Sulawesi (bunaken/lembeh area) over the Easter break, but my wife is doubly cursed in that she is a mosquito magnet and is allergic to them. Seeing as April is just at the end of the wet season, I would imagine lots of mozzies would still be around.

Does anyone have any hard data on the number of mosquitos in Northern Sulawesi at the end of the wet season? How would you compare it to Bonaire at the same time of year?

I also wouldn't mind hearing if you have a favorite resort in that area...

I live in the area and it is not too bad - I am too a mozzie magnet! If around dawn and dusk then long pants and spray. Also make sure the AC is on and windows and doors closed. Some resort fumigate to lessen the problem. Vitamin B before you come as well (apparently makes your blood smell less tasty) and plenty of garlic whilst you are here :wink:

Hi, All,

Considering a trip to north Sulawesi (bunaken/lembeh area) over the Easter break, but my wife is doubly cursed in that she is a mosquito magnet and is allergic to them. Seeing as April is just at the end of the wet season, I would imagine lots of mozzies would still be around.

Does anyone have any hard data on the number of mosquitos in Northern Sulawesi at the end of the wet season? How would you compare it to Bonaire at the same time of year?

I also wouldn't mind hearing if you have a favorite resort in that area...
We were there last April and had no problems with the mossies!! We LOVE KBR!!!!!!!!! Great resort.. great dive op ..great spa.. and very good shore diving!
Have fun!

Was there last May, not sure if you're gonna get hard data as I didnt have my counting sticks but I thought it had slightly more than other parts of SEA Id been to, maybe the thicker remote jungle surroundings? Bunaken we stayed on the island and there were plenty. Lembeh even more perhaps. Sorry to say if your wife is cursed then I wont hold much of your breath.

i live in the tropics and am familiar with the mozzie problem but i must say Lembeh has the worst!!

went on diff times of the year and with long pants, with the sweltering heat, its another problem. then the mozzie coils were lit and it gave my wife a headache...

so there, it was either one problem or the other. if your wife has already confessed to a dislike for them, better not go...funny thing, in the philippines, same village environment...no mozzies.

but to be accurate, it was only in the evenings. not so much in the mornings.

I've been living in Manado for some years and usually mosquito's level is almost the same all-year round, with some peak in the rainy season. Anyway is not dramatic and if you avoid staying exposed in the evenings, it's not out of control. Moreover the North Sulawesi is not a malaria area.

have a good trip,
Francesco

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom