Morrits In June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lynnemari

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has any one herd of the condition or progress at the Morrits Tortuga club? We have reservations to stay there June 10th.
thanks

Try PM-ing Drew Salibum as i believe he works there. He was not on island for Ivan, so may or may not have reaturned to sort things out, if he has there is no electricity or phone lines on the east end so you may not be able to get hold of him.

lynnemari:
Has any one herd of the condition or progress at the Morrits Tortuga club? We have reservations to stay there June 10th.
thanks

The official word is the resort is closed till 2005 and they're not taking reservations for after that.

Probably the most current info is on their forum at:

http://www.morritt.com/forums/index.php?

I think Drew is back now. He was having problems getting a flight back last post I saw. I am sure he is trying to grasp the full effect of the damage on his island home now that he is back Not sure if all the island has power or phone lines back up. May be a while before we here from him.

parrotheaddiver:
I think Drew is back now. He was having problems getting a flight back last post I saw. I am sure he is trying to grasp the full effect of the damage on his island home now that he is back Not sure if all the island has power or phone lines back up. May be a while before we here from him.
In a previous note Drew mentioned he'd be back on the 23rd. But I think he has a few other priorities right now:
but I hear the roof is off my apartment.

I doubt Drew has access to a computer on the East End as they may not get power out there for several months. Morretts did sustain some damage from the reports I have seen, but it doesn't look like any buildings were totaled. I would suggest calling and asking the status of the resort and the status of your trip. Personally, I think you will be fine, but a call wouldn't hurt.

Well, not on GC yet as the airline cancelled my flight. Trying again in a couple days.

Last official word is that Morritt's is closed through at least March 31. Unofficial scuttlebutt is that it could be quite a bit longer than that. Unfortunately I can't be sure what to tell you, but for now...
1) Don't book plane tickets if you haven't already.
2) If you are a timeshare owner, consider banking your week for later use or trade.
3) Be prepared to be flexible if your heart is set on Grand Cayman. The island will be reopened, but your choice of resort might not be.
4) Contact Global (if a Morritt's owner or renting from the resort), or RCI (if on an exchange) to stay up-to-date with their options.

CUC is working on extending electric service to the eastern districts. They planned to extend power via an undersea cable connecting West Bay and Rum Point. Unfortunately a boat sank in the storm and became tangled in the cable causing a fault. Power will have to wait until poles can be planted and overhead wires can be run. CUC is still hoping for a mid-December finish date for full restoration of service to those buildings which are ready to accept power.

Back
Top Bottom