Morrison wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I hope you are right. Really. But those "stories" were told us by the Barrie resident. I don't live in Barrie, so I could not check them. . Also the effluent pipes are there. I don't know where they come from - may be the water treatment plant. The spot where the water comes out from these pipes is not frozen and marked by red flags. Would you dive in Humber river? There is a water treatment plant there too, so I guess the water is a clean. As well why to go that far, to Barrie. There is a nice and pretty unexplored wreck in Toronto harbour - Sligo. It is definitely closer. The pictures are very nice though. I guess it was difficult to shoot them as the bottom silt stirs up very easily.

As a matter of fact, yes, we do dive Humber bay. in the winter though, 'cuase it is open water. Sligo would be nice - it is not a shore dive though and there are no regular charters

Morrison is much nicer for relaxing dives

As for the silt - if you stay away from the bottom, silt is not really an issue

Happy diving,

Vlada

vlada once bubbled...

As a matter of fact, yes, we do dive Humber bay. in the winter though, 'cuase it is open water. Sligo would be nice - it is not a shore dive though and there are no regular charters

Well, I don't know how wise is that. Look at this for example:

Toxins in the Humber

Do you have access to the official enviromental reports?

if you think it is not wise to dive some sites - by all means avoid them.

Just one fact though - Sligo as you know is in Toronto harbor - in the vicinity of downtown. As part of archaeological survey of Sligo in 2001, they did the test of water sampe - came out cleaner than the water we drink.

Not that i would advise anyone to drink it

They also did the awesome mosaic of Sligo if you haven't seen it yet - check it out Great Lakes Institute

click on projects at the bottom and then Sligo - mosaic in kinda in the middle

vlada once bubbled...
Just one fact though - Sligo as you know is in Toronto harbor - in the vicinity of downtown. As part of archaeological survey of Sligo in 2001, they did the test of water sampe - came out cleaner than the water we drink.

Not that i would advise anyone to drink it

They also did the awesome mosaic of Sligo if you haven't seen it yet - check it out Great Lakes Institute

click on projects at the bottom and then Sligo - mosaic in kinda in the middle [/B]

Sounds very interesting. And soooo enticing.

And I worked out of the office at what I can assure you is definitely not a chicken farm.

The plant in question is a treatment plant... but I can also assure you that it's not exactly just 'water' that they're treating there. I'll leave it at that.

That being said, I wouldn't be doing my job as a good environmental communications consultant if I didn't say that the effluent coming out of those pipes is quite clean. I wouldn't drink it, because it's not treated for viruses, but it's filtered, strained, disinfected with ultraviolet light, the whole gamut, before it's ever released back into the environment.

Now - does anyone want to go on a nice dive in the Halifax Harbour? That's just a straight pipe from the toilet to the Ocean. And up in Sydney, you can actually walk across the harbour on top of the pollution... no word of a lie - it will support a 200 pound man. So comparatively speaking, heck - I'd say Barrie's harbour water is just GRRRREEAT!

Thank you for the update Boogie. It is nice to hear a bit of information from the first hands. But I am sure many people would like to have an idea what ELSE is treated on that plant. :wink:

vlada once bubbled...

Morrison is much nicer for relaxing dives

As for the silt - if you stay away from the bottom, silt is not really an issue

Happy diving,

Vlada

You are going to have to bring that camera with you when we're working on that deco course of yours Vlada... I can't believe how you make Lake Simcoe look like the Red Sea <LOL>

DD

Back
Top Bottom